Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Enrico Weigelt

Default checking for.....

* Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are expecting autoconf to actually do something sane when it runs???

*rofl*

The point is: the way autoconf does its 'checks' is completely
insane - beginning with the expectation that an dumb script
is more clever than an operator ;-o

I've did a lot research in this area some time ago and came the
conclusion, that autoconf cannot be fixed - it's broken by
design. So I developed unitool: http://unitool.metux.de/
It uses an system/target-wide config database which can be
either auto-generated or tweaked manually.

I'm currently in the process of redesigning the database scheme
to be more convenient and flexible and also allow several autoconf
macros (eg. AC_CHECK_HEADER, ...) to directly query that config
database. So autoconf can be easily rewritten to at least do a
large bunch of checks via that db instead of compiling test
programs.

If anyone's interested in it, please let me know.

cu