Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Question about items on the main menu

In gnome-2.20.3, how would I find out what Main
Menu->System->Administration->Printing tries to run? And where would
errors from attempting to run it be dumped to? When I run it, it fails
silently.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM
"Daniel Pielmeier"

2008/5/1 Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com>:
> In gnome-2.20.3, how would I find out what Main
> Menu->System->Administration->Printing tries to run? And where would
> errors from attempting to run it be dumped to? When I run it, it fails
> silently.

You can try to find out which desktop file belongs to this entry. They
are usually in /usr/share/applications. The exec key shows you which
program is executed. You can run it from the command line to see which
error happens!

Regards,

Daniel

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 22:00 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> 2008/5/1 Michael Sullivan <michael@espersunited.com>:
> > In gnome-2.20.3, how would I find out what Main
> > Menu->System->Administration->Printing tries to run? And where would
> > errors from attempting to run it be dumped to? When I run it, it fails
> > silently.
>
> You can try to find out which desktop file belongs to this entry. They
> are usually in /usr/share/applications. The exec key shows you which
> program is executed. You can run it from the command line to see which
> error happens!
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

I looked it up and found the file. The Exec line was
gnome-cups-manager. Should gnome-cups-manager have some visible GUI,
because it doesn't. When I run it at the terminal prompt, it just gives
me a blinking cursor until I Cntrl+C it...

Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Robert Bridge

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 15:25 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I looked it up and found the file. The Exec line was
> gnome-cups-manager. Should gnome-cups-manager have some visible GUI,
> because it doesn't. When I run it at the terminal prompt, it just gives
> me a blinking cursor until I Cntrl+C it...

For me it opens a browser tab to the localhost cups admin page. Is cups
running on the computer in question?

Rob.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Michael Sullivan

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 21:33 +0100, Robert Bridge wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 15:25 -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> > I looked it up and found the file. The Exec line was
> > gnome-cups-manager. Should gnome-cups-manager have some visible GUI,
> > because it doesn't. When I run it at the terminal prompt, it just gives
> > me a blinking cursor until I Cntrl+C it...
>
> For me it opens a browser tab to the localhost cups admin page. Is cups
> running on the computer in question?
>
> Rob.

Yes, but I can't print from a web browser. I'm working with b.g.o to
figure that one out...