Old 05-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Michael George

Default man pages not displaying right - SOLVED

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 08:20:44AM -0400, Michael George wrote:
> I noticed today that my man pages aren't displaying correctly. Whenever
> I view one, I see the ESC codes rather than seeing bold fonts, etc.
>
> I don't remeber when I last used man and it displayed correctly, but I
> can check back 2 weeks this evening.
>
> I have tried several terminals (xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole) and all
> have the problem.
>
> Would this be a tercap problem? Unicode issue, perhaps?

It was /etc/man-conf. A change in the NROFF definition caused the
problem. Running dispatch-conf didn't prompt me for the config change,
so I ran etc-update this time and found it.

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone.

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Wolf Canis

Old 05-01-2008, 05:47 PM

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 06:12:19PM +0200, Wolf Canis wrote:

> Michael George wrote:
> |
> | It was /etc/man-conf. A change in the NROFF definition caused the
> | problem. Running dispatch-conf didn't prompt me for the config change,
> | so I ran etc-update this time and found it.
> |
> | Hopefully this will be helpful for someone.
> Hello,
> yes it's helpful, but I used etc-update and was to fast and
> can't remember what are the changes. Could you give me an idea of the
> working NROFF definition?
>
> For now, I solved it by changing the MANPAGER variable to "less". I had
> set MANPAGER to "vimmanpager". Perhaps I have a additional problem?

I searched for NROFF in /etc/man-conf and found a note saying to add
"-c" if something had a specific version. I tried that and it works
now. There may be otehr fixesm but that works for me. Just edit it
and look for NROFF, it's in a comment.

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Michael George

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 06:12:19PM +0200, Wolf Canis wrote:
> Michael George wrote:
> |
> | It was /etc/man-conf. A change in the NROFF definition caused the
> | problem. Running dispatch-conf didn't prompt me for the config change,
> | so I ran etc-update this time and found it.
> |
> | Hopefully this will be helpful for someone.
> Hello,
> yes it's helpful, but I used etc-update and was to fast and
> can't remember what are the changes. Could you give me an idea of the
> working NROFF definition?
>
> For now, I solved it by changing the MANPAGER variable to "less". I had
> set MANPAGER to "vimmanpager". Perhaps I have a additional problem?

Here is the NROFF definition which did *not* work:
NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -mandoc

This is my NROFF setting now, and from before I had the problem, which
*does* work:
NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tascii -c -mandoc

I hope this can be helpful to many of you out there.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Wolf Canis