Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default trouble emerging R and tcltk

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, John P. Burkett wrote:
> On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
> difficulty in emerging R and tcltk in a manner that allows the former
> to find the latter. On this machine, in R version 2.6.1, the command
> library(tcltk) elicits the following response:
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
> Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
>
> After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:
[snip]
> 4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
> to my /etc/portage/package.use file.

eix reveals that the required USE flag is in fact "tk"

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 05-01-2008, 02:18 AM
"John P. Burkett"

Alan McKinnon wrote:

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, John P. Burkett wrote:

On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
difficulty in emerging R and tcltk in a manner that allows the former
to find the latter. On this machine, in R version 2.6.1, the command
library(tcltk) elicits the following response:
Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:

[snip]

4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
to my /etc/portage/package.use file.

eix reveals that the required USE flag is in fact "tk"

Thanks, Alan! Changing the USE flag from tcltk to tk, as you suggested,
was the key to getting R to find tcltk. After making that change, doing
"emerge -C R" and "emerge R" was enough to correct the problem.

Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics

phone (401) 874-9195

Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 AM
"Greg Bowser"

(off topic)

John P. Burkett...

I knew I recognized that name... it's on my schedule for the fall.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 01 May 2008, John P. Burkett wrote:
> > eix reveals that the required USE flag is in fact "tk"
>
> Thanks, Alan! *Changing the USE flag from tcltk to tk, as you
> suggested, was the key to getting R to find tcltk. After making that
> change, doing "emerge -C R" and "emerge R" was enough to correct the
> problem.

Moving slightly off-topic, it would have been nice if portage had told
you that you were trying to use an unsupported USE flag in a more
obvious way than the simple yellow 'tcltk%' it currently gives. It's
very easy to miss that in the huge mass of detail from emerge world.

I'd prefer a more verbose message at the end, where blockers and masking
information goes. Such a thing would have saved you much effort.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 1 May 2008 10:28:06 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Moving slightly off-topic, it would have been nice if portage had told
> you that you were trying to use an unsupported USE flag in a more
> obvious way than the simple yellow 'tcltk%' it currently gives. It's
> very easy to miss that in the huge mass of detail from emerge world.

You have to run it manually, but flagedit warns of any unsupported flags
in make.conf or package.use.

--
Neil Bothwick

... "I dropped my toothpaste," Tom said, Crestfallen.