-   -   trouble emerging R and tcltk (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/79607-trouble-emerging-r-tcltk.html)

"John P. Burkett" 04-30-2008 09:29 PM

trouble emerging R and tcltk

On a x86 machine operating under Gentoo Linux, I'm having persistent
difficulty in emerging R and tcltk in a manner that allows the former to
find the latter. On this machine, in R version 2.6.1, the command
library(tcltk) elicits the following response:

Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'

After first encountering this problem, I took the following steps:
1. Made sure that installed programs include dev-lang/tcl,
dev-tcltk/mysqltcl, dev-tcltk/otcl, dev-tcltk/tcl-debug,
dev-tcltk/tcldom, dev-tcltk/tcllib, dev-tcltk/tclperl,
dev-tcltk/tclpython, dev-tcltk/tclreadline, dev-tcltk/tclxml,

and dev-tcltk/tclxml-expat.
2. Verified that tcltk was installed by writing a little file hello.tcl,
running the command "tclsh hello.tcl", and observing that the output was
correct.

3. Removed R by doing "emerge -C R".
4. Set a tcltk USE flag for R by appending the line dev-lang/R tcltk
to my /etc/portage/package.use file.
5. Reinstalled R by doing "emerge R"

Then I started R and again tried "library(tcltk)". The response was
exactly the same before.

I would be most grateful for suggestions about diagnosing and solving
the problem.

Best regards,
John

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics

phone (401) 874-9195