Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Default smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008

I'd like to jump an 2006 install up to 2008. I've never made that big
an update without a fresh install.

What is the smoothest way to do it?

How might I manage to change the current profile from x86/2006 to
x86/2008

That option is of course not available currently at
/usr/portage/profiles.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
"Ian Graeme Hilt"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM, <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I'd like to jump an 2006 install up to 2008. I've never made that big
> an update without a fresh install.
>
> What is the smoothest way to do it?

Download the 2008 minimal install cd and install.

Frankly, updating a 2006 install to 2008 is counter-productive. You'll
have a much easier time doing a fresh 2008 install.

--
Ian Graeme Hilt <ian.hilt@gmail.com>

Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> I'd like to jump an 2006 install up to 2008. I've never made that
> big an update without a fresh install.

There's no such thing as a "2006 install". What does exist, is the
collection of packages that were on the LiveCDs released in 2006. It's
a vital difference as Gentoo doesn't care about versions, just the
current collection of packages you might happen to have. You
don't "upgrade" as such, thinking in those terms will get you in deep
trouble real quick. What you do do is emerge whatever later version of
packages you feel like having (within some technical constraints)

> What is the smoothest way to do it?

change profile
emerge --sync
emerge -avuND world

> How might I manage to change the current profile from x86/2006 to
> x86/2008

ln -s /var/portage/profiles/default-linux/2008.0/desktop /etc/make.profile

adjust the profile path to suit what you have on your machine, mine is
in a non-standard place

If you --sync regularly and keep the box up to date you are likely to be
severely underwhelmed by what a change in profile will do: usually not
very much.

The profile defines some default USE flags and the collection of
packages that make up the system set (about 60 packages or so). It will
define things like coreutils, nano etc must be present, sometimes with
a minimum version. These are just defaults, if you configured them
explicitly, your changes will override the profile. Chances are you
already meet most of the minimum requirements for even the latest
profile so emerge -avuND world will likely do not much. If it does give
output, study it carefully and adjust your USE to suit your
requirements better than the profile, then re-run the emerge.

Of course, if you haven't updated the box since 2006, then you are in
for a fun ride. I recently updated a box 6 months out of date and also
removed everything resembling gnome at the same time. It took 4 days
and many failed builds. It would have been quicker to reinstall from
stage 1... I didn't reinstall because I'm a pain loving masochist
with a point to prove. You should take note of this error of mine and
learn from it ;-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:31:05 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> How might I manage to change the current profile from x86/2006 to
> x86/2008

Change the /etc/make.profile symlink or use eselect profile.

> That option is of course not available currently at
> /usr/portage/profiles.

2008 hasn't been released yet. Switch to 2007.0 for now, then it will be
less of a change when 2008.0 is released.

--
Neil Bothwick

The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Neil Walker

Neil Bothwick wrote:

2008 hasn't been released yet. Switch to 2007.0 for now, then it will be
less of a change when 2008.0 is released.

It was released on April 1st.

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:31:05 -0500, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> How might I manage to change the current profile from x86/2006 to

> x86/2008

Change the /etc/make.profile symlink or use eselect profile.

> That option is of course not available currently at

> /usr/portage/profiles.

2008 hasn't been released yet. Switch to 2007.0 for now, then it will be

less of a change when 2008.0 is released.

Hmmm.* I may have read this latest post just in time.* My system contains
/usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop and I had just linked
/etc/make.profile to it and synced up.* I was about to emerge world -- it was

going to rebuild 124 packages (a lot of kde stuff for one thing).

I think I'll go back to 2007 for now....

The question: if it hasn't been released, what is this profile doing on my
system, and how am I supposed to know?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:35:53 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > Hmmm. I may have read this latest post just in time. My system
> > contains
> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop

Ah, they've moved it! The other profiles are in
/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux, that's why the latest I saw was
2007.0

--
Neil Bothwick

If the funeral procession is at night, do folks drive with their lights
off?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > Hmmm. *I may have read this latest post just in time. *My system
> > contains
>
> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop and I had just
> linked /etc/make.profile to it and synced up. *I was about to emerge
> world -- it was
> going to rebuild 124 packages (a lot of kde stuff for one thing).
>
> I think I'll go back to 2007 for now....
>
> The question: if it hasn't been released, what is this profile doing
> on my system, and how am I supposed to know?

I rattled off the path to profiles from memory in my previous post
without actually checking what I had on the machine :-)

When I went to look for it, I didn't find a 2008.0 profile at first -
that took a 'find' command. I see now I have:

/var/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/
/var/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/

When did this gratuitous and 100% cosmetic-only zero-value-adding naming
convention change happen? GMN is the obvious place to announce it, I
read them all, I don't recall seeing this. I've been using gentoo for
years, the standard profile paths are tatooed in my brain. If it
weren't for this thread I would probably have been blissfully ignorant
for many more months. "Read the install docs" doesn't work for me - I
haven't needed install docs for years now.

This kind of gratuitous change is bullshit and *really* ticks me off as
useful important stuff just *goes away*

Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, 21:00, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I rattled off the path to profiles from memory in my previous post
> without actually checking what I had on the machine :-)
>
> When I went to look for it, I didn't find a 2008.0 profile at first -
> that took a 'find' command. I see now I have:
>
> /var/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/
> /var/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0/
>
> When did this gratuitous and 100% cosmetic-only zero-value-adding
> naming convention change happen? GMN is the obvious place to announce
> it, I read them all, I don't recall seeing this. I've been using
> gentoo for years, the standard profile paths are tatooed in my brain.
> If it weren't for this thread I would probably have been blissfully
> ignorant for many more months. "Read the install docs" doesn't work
> for me - I haven't needed install docs for years now.
>
> This kind of gratuitous change is bullshit and *really* ticks me off
> as useful important stuff just *goes away*

I don't want to comment about the change. However, you could have found
out easily all the available profiles by doing "eselect profile list":

# eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default-linux/x86/2006.1
[2] default-linux/x86/no-nptl
[3] default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop
[4] default-linux/x86/2007.0
[5] default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop *
[6] hardened/x86/2.6
[7] selinux/2007.0/x86
[8] selinux/2007.0/x86/hardened
[9] default/linux/x86/2008.0
[10] default/linux/x86/2008.0/desktop
[11] default/linux/x86/2008.0/developer
[12] default/linux/x86/2008.0/no-nptl
[13] default/linux/x86/2008.0/server
[14] hardened/linux/x86

Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> > This kind of gratuitous change is bullshit and *really* ticks me
> > off as useful important stuff just *goes away*
>
> I don't want to comment about the change. However, you could have
> found out easily all the available profiles by doing "eselect profile
> list":
>
> # eselect profile list
> Available profile symlink targets:

Fair enough, except that I maintain make.profile manually using ln. Same
with /usr/src/linux. And I've been doing that since my first install
and have never needed to look for a front end tool that can replace one
simple command with one simple command.

In fact, I didn't even know about this feature of eselect till 5 minutes
ago. So now there are two useful and important things that were not
communicated to users.