Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
James

Default ftdi usb-serial converter broken

Hello,

I've been using FTDI's usb-serial converters for a few years now with
great success.

I have not used minicom in a month or so and now it's broken
on all(3) of the laptops where it use to work. I have googled
for a while today, with not luck on this issue.

It the /etc/minicom/minirc.dfl used to use
/dev/ttyUSB0 on several machines.

Now I get: nu such file or directory.

CD into /dev and sure enough ttyUSB0 nore ttyUSB* is not there
so this is at least a udev issue?

Also, I went to rebuild the gentoo-2.6.24-r4 kernel and could not
locate the driver item for ftdi (maybe it has been combined into
a mega driver or such?

Note, I still have minicom working on desktop systems that have regular
serial (16550) ports.

ideas?

James

Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 28 April 2008, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using FTDI's usb-serial converters for a few years now with
> great success.

I use one of those gadgets. Wonderful devices, they always
JustWorked(tm)

> I have not used minicom in a month or so and now it's broken
> on all(3) of the laptops where it use to work. I have googled
> for a while today, with not luck on this issue.
>
> It the /etc/minicom/minirc.dfl used to use
> /dev/ttyUSB0 on several machines.
>
> Now I get: nu such file or directory.
>
> CD into /dev and sure enough ttyUSB0 nore ttyUSB* is not there
> so this is at least a udev issue?

No, it's done by the driver and udev just goes along with what the
driver creates. My specs:

alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $ uname -a
Linux nazgul 2.6.24-gentoo-r4 #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 7 18:40:36 SAST
2008 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux

Plugging in the device gives me this from dmesg:
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110152.957575] usb 3-1: new full speed USB
device using uhci_hcd and address 5
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.078246] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen
from 1 choice
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.124828] usbcore: registered new interface
driver usbserial
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.124855] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c:
USB Serial support registered for generic
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.124903] usbcore: registered new interface
driver usbserial_generic
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.124906] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c:
USB Serial Driver core
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.136853] drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c:
USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.136903] ftdi_sio 3-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial
Device converter detected
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.136939] drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c:
Detected FT232RL
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.137035] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device
converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.137050] usbcore: registered new interface
driver ftdi_sio
Apr 28 23:44:04 nazgul [110153.137053] drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c:
v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

and I get this device node created automagically:
alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $ ls -al /dev/ttyU*
crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 2008-04-28 23:44 /dev/ttyUSB0

There are no specific udev rules as shown by:
alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $ grep -ir usb * | grep tty
alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $ grep -ir tty * | grep usb
alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $ grep -ir ftdi *
alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $ grep -ir 188 *
alan@nazgul /etc/udev/rules.d $

> Also, I went to rebuild the gentoo-2.6.24-r4 kernel and could not
> locate the driver item for ftdi (maybe it has been combined into
> a mega driver or such?

It's where it's always been :-)

Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Serial Converter support -> USB
FTDI Single Port Serial Driver (EXPERIMENTAL)

I had no trouble finding it when I built this kernel so I assume it
didn't move. The driver's dependencies:

Symbol: USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO [=m]
Prompt: USB FTDI Single Port Serial Driver (EXPERIMENTAL)
Defined at drivers/usb/serial/Kconfig:167
Depends on: USB_SUPPORT && USB!=n && USB_SERIAL && EXPERIMENTAL

Maybe you forgot to configure EXPERIMENTAL=Y ?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 PM
David Relson

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:00:58 +0200
Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Monday 28 April 2008, James wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been using FTDI's usb-serial converters for a few years now
> > with great success.
>
> I use one of those gadgets. Wonderful devices, they always
> JustWorked(tm)

Indeed, they are wonderful. <digression> I used a pair of them on an
embedded project with micro-controllers talking via 500Kb serial
links. The problem I encountered with Windoze is that (1) 500Kb is a
non-standard baud rate and required a customized config file and (2)
Windoze used the right config file for 1 converter and the wrong config
file for the other. Apparently Windoze identified the individual
converters and used the config file it thought proper for each one --
rather than a single config file for both. </digression>

Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 AM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe you forgot to configure EXPERIMENTAL=Y ?

Yes, sure that's it but "where" exactly do you indicate Y
to the Experimental? That must be what I cannot find.

Under "USB Serial Converter support" I'm not seeing any
of the experimental driver choices, so I've definately
missed the option that makes those all visible. Where
exactly do you turn it on?

I cannot find it.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Ian Graeme Hilt

James wrote:
> I cannot find it.

cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig

Then, hit the "/" key. Type in FTDI. This should bring up the path for that
driver.

In any case, why can you not use a module?

--
Ian Graeme Hilt

Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Maybe you forgot to configure EXPERIMENTAL=Y ?
>
> Yes, sure that's it but "where" exactly do you indicate Y
> to the Experimental? That must be what I cannot find.

You'll have found it straight away now that you've replaced your damaged
sources, but for the record, it's the first option on the first screen
(General setup)

Old 04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
James

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > Yes, sure that's it but "where" exactly do you indicate Y
> > to the Experimental? That must be what I cannot find.

> You'll have found it straight away now that you've replaced your damaged
> sources, but for the record, it's the first option on the first screen
> (General setup)

Thanks Alan for your help

James