Old 04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default sys-libs/-MERGING-pam

Hi,
I'm just about done cleaning up a machine that I haven't touched in
a while. For the first time I used eix-test-obsolete to look for
inconsistencies in the portage config files. It worked wel. The
machine is clean in terms of emerge -DuN world;emerge
--depclean;revdep-rebuild. However I am left with one strange package
that doesn't exit. I'm thinking sys-libs/-MERGING-pam is left over
from some emerge that possibly failed and would like to clean it up. I
does exist in /var/db/pkg but I've never touched anything in these
dirfectories by hand so I'd like to know the right way to go about
this.

The other few packages that failed in eix-test-obsolete allowed an
emerge -C but this one doesn't.

Thanks,
Mark

gandalf ~ # slocate MERGING-pam
/var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-pam-0.99.8.1-r1
gandalf ~ #

gandalf ~ # eix-test-obsolete

No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.keywords.
No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.mask.
No non-matching entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask.
No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.use.
No non-matching or empty entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags.
The following installed packages are not in the database:

sys-libs/-MERGING-pam
--

No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.keywords (or test switched off).
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.mask (or test switched off).
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask (or test switched off).
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.use (or test switched off).
No redundant entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags (or test switched off).
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.keywords (or test switched off).
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.mask (or test switched off).
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask (or test switched off).
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.use (or test switched off).
No uninstalled entries in /etc/portage/package.cflags (or test switched off).
All installed versions of packages are in the database (or test switched off).
gandalf ~ # eix -I pam
[i] sys-libs/pam
Available versions: 0.99.8.1-r1 0.99.9.0 ~1.0.1 {audit cracklib
elibc_FreeBSD elibc_glibc nls selinux test vim-syntax}
Installed versions: 0.99.9.0(09:06:34 12/24/07)(cracklib
elibc_glibc nls -audit -elibc_FreeBSD -selinux -test -vim-syntax)
Homepage: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/

gandalf ~ #

Old 04-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Rumen Yotov

Mark Knecht wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark,

Just remove (or move it somewhere) the whole directory:
#rm -rf /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-pam-0.99.8.1-r1
Probably left from some error while merging pam.
Then test again.
HTH, Rumen

Old 04-28-2008, 03:54 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> gandalf ~ # slocate MERGING-pam
> /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-pam-0.99.8.1-r1
> gandalf ~ #

I'm never taken the time to understand exactly how portage keeps track
of what is on a system so I'm now curious what represents an
'installed' package. Is it simply that there is a directory located
under /var/db/pkg?

Can I safely remove this directory? As a test I moved it elsewhere and
now eix-test-obsolete doesn't complain. I presume at this point I can
delete it. there's nothing in the directory as best I can tell and the
version number does not match the version of pam currently install.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>

> > gandalf ~ # slocate MERGING-pam
> > /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/-MERGING-pam-0.99.8.1-r1
> > gandalf ~ #
> >

> I'm never taken the time to understand exactly how portage keeps track
> of what is on a system so I'm now curious what represents an
> 'installed' package. Is it simply that there is a directory located
> under /var/db/pkg?
>
> Can I safely remove this directory? As a test I moved it elsewhere and
> now eix-test-obsolete doesn't complain. I presume at this point I can
> delete it. there's nothing in the directory as best I can tell and the
> version number does not match the version of pam currently install.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

So, finishing this topic off on my own for now this Gentoo doc:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1

states the following:

<QUOTE>
Portage Database

Portage stores the state of your system (what packages are installed,
what files belong to which package, ...) in /var/db/pkg. Do not alter
these files manually! It might break Portage's knowledge of your
system.
</QUOTE>

So, reading between the lines, it seems that if someone knows wht they
are doing then they can change files in this directory. In my case the
-MERGING directory had no files in it and didn't match the installed
version of pam. I removed it and now eix-test-obsolete is happy.

Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
education which is cool.

Sorry for the noise,
Mark

Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:01:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
> to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
> education which is cool.

There was a post to this list explaining this not long ago. AFAIR, the
MERGING entries in /var/db/pkg are created while emerge is copying the
files from the temporary build location to the live filesystem. If they
are still there, it means that the merge was aborted, perhaps by a crash
or flat battery, at a potentially critical point. While it should be safe
to remove these, you should re-emerge the package to make sure your
installation is consistent.

--
Neil Bothwick

The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 AM
"Mark Knecht"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:01:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
> > to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
> > education which is cool.
>
> There was a post to this list explaining this not long ago. AFAIR, the
> MERGING entries in /var/db/pkg are created while emerge is copying the
> files from the temporary build location to the live filesystem. If they
> are still there, it means that the merge was aborted, perhaps by a crash
> or flat battery, at a potentially critical point. While it should be safe
> to remove these, you should re-emerge the package to make sure your
> installation is consistent.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Thanks Neil. Makes perfect sense and since the -MERGING directory was
for an older version and I now have a newer version installed I think
I'm in good shape.

Thanks again for the input.

cheers,
Mark