Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Enrico Weigelt

Default Portage -> touch files

Hi folks,

I'd like to automatic purging of portage's temporary files from
time to time (eg. nightly). But this doesn't work since downloaded
uncompressed files have their original timestamps, not the time
of fetch/uncompress.

Is there any way to tweak this to the current timestamp ?

thx

Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:28:35 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> I'd like to automatic purging of portage's temporary files from
> time to time (eg. nightly). But this doesn't work since downloaded
> uncompressed files have their original timestamps, not the time
> of fetch/uncompress.

What's wrong with

pgrep emerge || rm -fr $(portageq envvar PORTAGE_TMPDIR)/portage

--
Neil Bothwick

Keyboard: (n.) a device used by programmers to write software for a mouse
or joystick and by operators for playing games such as 'word processing.'

Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Monday 28 April 2008, 10:28, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> I'd like to automatic purging of portage's temporary files from
> time to time (eg. nightly). But this doesn't work since downloaded
> uncompressed files have their original timestamps, not the time
> of fetch/uncompress.
>
> Is there any way to tweak this to the current timestamp ?

Can't you just check the timestamp of the containing directories?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> What's wrong with
>
> pgrep emerge || rm -fr $(portageq envvar PORTAGE_TMPDIR)/portage

This removes everything in /var/tmp/portage. I don't want this,
just those which have certain age (eg. 1 day), otherwise it
could interfere w/ running builds. And it also doesn't clean
old distfiles.

Meanwhile I've learned about $FETCHCOMMAND(_*), but this
doesn't seem to get the URI passed

cu

Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2008, 10:28, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I'd like to automatic purging of portage's temporary files from
> > time to time (eg. nightly). But this doesn't work since downloaded
> > uncompressed files have their original timestamps, not the time
> > of fetch/uncompress.
> >
> > Is there any way to tweak this to the current timestamp ?
>
> Can't you just check the timestamp of the containing directories?

Good point, at least for the tmpdir stuff

cu

Old 04-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:57:09 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> > pgrep emerge || rm -fr $(portageq envvar PORTAGE_TMPDIR)/portage
>
> This removes everything in /var/tmp/portage. I don't want this,
> just those which have certain age (eg. 1 day), otherwise it
> could interfere w/ running builds. And it also doesn't clean
> old distfiles.

It won't interfere with running ebuilds, because pgrep emerge will cause
it to exit if emerge is running. Deleting anything over a day old is
dangerous, think openoffice on a slow/loaded machine. ebuilds should
clean up after themselves, so you only get cruft in $PORTAGE_TMPDIR when
an ebuild fails.

No, it doesn't clean distfiles, but you didn't ask about them, use eclean
for that.

--
Neil Bothwick

As long as you do not move you can still choose any direction.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> It won't interfere with running ebuilds, because pgrep emerge
> will cause it to exit if emerge is running.

Ah, I missed that point ;-o

> Deleting anything over a day old is dangerous, think openoffice
> on a slow/loaded machine.

Therefore I'm using more than one day. Actually, I don't use
overbloated stuff like OO ;-P

> ebuilds should clean up after themselves, so you only get cruft
> in $PORTAGE_TMPDIR when an ebuild fails.

Right, but this tends to be quite often in the last time

> No, it doesn't clean distfiles, but you didn't ask about them,
> use eclean for that.

hmm, won't help me very much, since I don't want to keep distfiles
for already installed packages, but those which are scheduled
for update (running nightly emerge -uDF world).

cu