Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 PM
dexters84

Default Batch audio converter?

Tweak below script a little and it should do the trick - should work the
way it is - but I haven't tested it, it's a port of mine video encoder
for multiple directories.

#!/bin/bash

new_files=$(find /path/to/input/ -iname "*.ogg")
inc=1
for x in $new_files
do
filename[$inc]=$x
char_count=$(stat $filename[$inc]|wc -c)
name_end=$(($char_count - 6))
out_name[$inc]=$(echo $filename[$inc]|cut -c 10-$name_end)
ffmpeg -i $filename -vcodec mp3 -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 256k
/path/to/out/$out_name.mp3

inc=$(($inc + 1))
done

Mark Knecht pisze:

Hi,
I've got about 200GB of OGG and FLAC files on my local machine. My
son bought an iPod and wants me to do a batch conversion to mp3. Can
anyone recommend something in portage that can do this in more or less
a single step? Directory hierarchy is basically
band/album/audio_files.

Extra points I suppose if it can write the output to a different
machine across the network - Windows XP or Gentoo - so that I don't
have to deal with storage issues in this end.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
dexters84

There was a bug in my pervious script

********** out_name[$inc]=$(stat

Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Thanks Dexter. Good stuff!

Cheers,
Mark

Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM
"Liviu Andronic"

On 4/27/08, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got about 200GB of OGG and FLAC files on my local machine. My
> son bought an iPod and wants me to do a batch conversion to mp3. Can
> anyone recommend something in portage that can do this in more or less
> a single step? Directory hierarchy is basically
> band/album/audio_files.

ogg2mp3 can do a nice job (tags and everything). For the rest try sox.
Liviu

Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
darren kirby

quoth the Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
> I've got about 200GB of OGG and FLAC files on my local machine. My
> son bought an iPod and wants me to do a batch conversion to mp3. Can
> anyone recommend something in portage that can do this in more or less
> a single step? Directory hierarchy is basically
> band/album/audio_files.
>
> Extra points I suppose if it can write the output to a different
> machine across the network - Windows XP or Gentoo - so that I don't
> have to deal with storage issues in this end.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Not in portage, but I am author of sneetchalizer. Will do what you need plus
preserve the meta-tags:

http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/sneetchalizer/

-d

Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got about 200GB of OGG and FLAC files on my local machine. My
> son bought an iPod and wants me to do a batch conversion to mp3. Can
> anyone recommend something in portage that can do this in more or
> less a single step? Directory hierarchy is basically
> band/album/audio_files.

I do this the easy way, with an amarok plugin - transkode, it's in
portage

Configure it to transcode on demand when transferring to the media
player, then drag mp3s as normal. Transkode will re-encode them on the
fly.

Pros: quick, easy, no hassle
Cons: slower than simply moving an mp3, has to be done each time you
transfer a track to the player, encoding is not of the best quality
(but players don't render the best quality sound either so this doesn't
bother me at all)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Nicolai Beuermann

Hi,
On 27.04.2008 17:16:50, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got about 200GB of OGG and FLAC files on my local machine. My
> son bought an iPod and wants me to do a batch conversion to mp3. Can
> anyone recommend something in portage that can do this in more or less
> a single step? Directory hierarchy is basically
> band/album/audio_files.
soundkonverter (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29024) is a
nice gui tool for that task. I've got it from the sabayon overlay.

nico
--
mailto: nicolai.beuermann@gmx.de
http://www.nico-beuermann.de

Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Joseph

Here is a shorter one:

for i in `ls *.ogg | sed -e 's/.ogg//'`; do echo "Converting $i.ogg to $i.mp3"; ogg123 -d wav -f - $i.ogg | lame-
$i.mp3; done

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7