Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Default rkhunter and /dev/dev

This morning, out of curiosity, I ran rkhunter: it gave me a warning about
GasKit.

It's because there's a /dev/dev folder

aemaeth udev # ll /dev/dev
total 0
brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 0 26 apr 09:00 md0
brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 1 26 apr 09:00 md1
brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 2 26 apr 09:00 md2
brw-r--r-- 1 root root 9, 3 26 apr 09:00 md3
aemaeth udev # ll /dev/md?
brw-r----- 1 root disk 9, 0 26 apr 09:00 /dev/md0
brw-r----- 1 root disk 9, 1 26 apr 09:00 /dev/md1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 9, 2 26 apr 09:00 /dev/md2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 9, 3 26 apr 09:00 /dev/md3

I checked another gentoo system and it also has a /dev/dev folder. I'm not
worried, it seem a false positive, but I can't find a clue in udev
configuration about this double folder.

Is it there a way to get rid safely of this weird layout? Is it worth?

Thank in advance
Francesco

Sponsor:
Stai cercando l'email marketing di successo ed economica? Prova con
Email.it le tue campagne di Email Marketing a partire da 250 Euro!

Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=7149&d=20080427

Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:33:03 +0200, ti.liame@email.it wrote:

> This morning, out of curiosity, I ran rkhunter: it gave me a warning
> about GasKit.
>
> It's because there's a /dev/dev folder

Have you run rkhunter --update? I used to see this warning, but it
disappeared a while ago with a database update.

--
Neil Bothwick

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben. Ist easy
droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone mit der spammen
und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das
mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets
muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Francesco Talamona

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:33:03 +0200, ti.liame@email.it wrote:
> > This morning, out of curiosity, I ran rkhunter: it gave me a
> > warning about GasKit.
> >
> > It's because there's a /dev/dev folder
>
> Have you run rkhunter --update? I used to see this warning, but it
> disappeared a while ago with a database update.

Actually I didn't think about an update, I updated right now and
rechecked, but nothing has changed.

Why do I have duplicated md devices?

Ciao
Francesco
--
Linux Version 2.6.25-gentoo-r1, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Sun Apr 20 10:05:09
CEST 2008

Old 04-27-2008, 05:47 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:37:15 +0200, Francesco Talamona wrote:

> > > It's because there's a /dev/dev folder
> >
> > Have you run rkhunter --update? I used to see this warning, but it
> > disappeared a while ago with a database update.

I've just checked back and in my case it was /dev/md/n, which are links
to /dev/mdn. I have no /dev/dev.

> Actually I didn't think about an update, I updated right now and
> rechecked, but nothing has changed.
>
> Why do I have duplicated md devices?

It sounds like a udev rule may be causing this, possibly an incorrectly
written one, because the /dev part of node names is implicit in udev, so
if you set a name or symlink to dev/foo, you'll get /dev/dev/foo.

--
Neil Bothwick

Anyone able to feel pain is trainable.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Francesco Talamona

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Why do I have duplicated md devices?
>
> It sounds like a udev rule may be causing this, possibly an
> incorrectly written one, because the /dev part of node names is
> implicit in udev, so if you set a name or symlink to dev/foo, you'll
> get /dev/dev/foo.

It was the first thing I searched for in /etc/udev, but there weren't
explicit pointers to dev, furthermore I have one only custom file
in /etc/udev/rules.d: 10-local.rules, and the only other one I edited
is 70-persistent-net.rules; they surely have nothing to do with md
devices.

After your second reply I did a crazy thing: moved /etc/udev to another
position and reemerged udev. Then I diffed the two directories, because
there were many files dated 2005 and 2006 not belonging to any
packages.

This cleanup wasn't enough, but then I edited /etc/mdadm.conf, modified
the ARRAY directive

from:
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=...

to:
ARRAY md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=...

I got some warnings at bootup, but no /dev/dev.

Now I have no ARRAY directives in /etc/mdadm.conf, no /dev/dev and my
system is more zippy than ever!! No more slowdowns on large file
transfers: previously I was used to see transfer rate drop from initial
peak to 8-10MB/sec, now the speed is constantly high..

Of course rkhunter is now happy about my configuration, as like as me!

Ciao
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.25-gentoo-r1, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Sun Apr 20 10:05:09
CEST 2008
One 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 2004.01 Bogomips Total
aemaeth