Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default nscd doing IPV6 requests on an IPV4-only system ???

The preliminaries...
- I start off my USE variable in /etc/make.conf with "-*"
- I have *NOT* enabled IPV6 anywhere
- This is North America folks; my ISP's owners know what IPV6 is and
are working on getting it operational, but it's not running yet.
- I'm not a pro or anti IPV6 zealot. When I need it, I'll enable it.
For now, I don't need it.

Anyhow, I have nscd enabled, and I'm seeing stuff like...
Apr 25 18:34:48 m3000 nscd: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "mail.teksavvy.com IN AAAA", got type "A"

A search of "man nscd" and "man nscd.conf" and Google does not find
anything about restricting nscd to IPV4. Is this a minor resource
issue? What happens if nscd *DOES* find an AAAA record, and my system
doesn't know what to do with it?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits