Old 04-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Mick

Default Splitting .mov files

Hi All,

I have a rather large .mov file which I want to split into two separate files.
What options are available to me?
Mick

Old 04-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Hal Martin

I assume you want each piece of this file to be play-able? If you don't
care about that, just use split to chop them up into your desired size
and then use cat to reassemble them at the destination.

*$ split –bytes=1m /path/to/large/file /path/to/output/file/prefix*

'man split' will also contain this information.

-Hal

Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Mick

On Saturday 26 April 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
> I assume you want each piece of this file to be play-able? If you don't
> care about that, just use split to chop them up into your desired size
> and then use cat to reassemble them at the destination.
>
> *$ split –bytes=1m /path/to/large/file /path/to/output/file/prefix*
>
> 'man split' will also contain this information.

Thanks! I didn't know about split.

I am afraid that the split files have to be playable. I intend to upload them
on a server for a MSWindows user to download and play. It has to be point &
click skill level at the receiving end.
Mick