Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 AM
"Yoav Luft"

Default Gentoo for embedded-linux

I've recently grown interested in Linux for embedded devices, specifically, ARM computers and ARM core DSP's. I am a Gentoo-linux user and an electronics technician, and know nothing about programming operating systems. Are there any relevant* projects, specifically* Gentoo flavored once for embedded computing? I did come across commercial embedded oriented distrobutions such as MonteVista Linux and such. I am a hobbyist, I can't afford a hundreds of dollars development kits, and I would like to use tools that I already somehow familiar with, such tools as Gentoo's. But are they? can anyone point me to someone, somewhere, beneath web-sphere?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Neil Walker

Yoav Luft wrote:
I've recently grown interested in Linux for embedded devices,
specifically, ARM computers and ARM core DSP's. I am a Gentoo-linux
user and an electronics technician, and know nothing about programming
operating systems. Are there any relevant projects, specifically
Gentoo flavored once for embedded computing? I did come across
commercial embedded oriented distrobutions such as MonteVista Linux
and such. I am a hobbyist, I can't afford a hundreds of dollars
development kits, and I would like to use tools that I already somehow
familiar with, such tools as Gentoo's. But are they? can anyone point
me to someone, somewhere, beneath web-sphere?

You mean something like this?:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/index.xml

Be lucky,

Neil

believed to be clean.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Neil Walker <neil@ep.mine.nu> wrote:

Hi,

> You mean something like this?:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/index.xml

AFAIK, portage is far from being suitable for real embedded
development. It's lacking essential things like sysroot.
Also dozens of ebuilds will hazardouzly fail due bad assumptions
like always doing non-foreing installs, building machine can
run built code, etc, etc.

Didn't check the crossdev tool yet, but for creating cross-toolchains
I'really recommend crosstool/crosstool-ng.

If you like to have some portage-alike builder tool which is
designed for crosscompiling, let me know

cu

Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 AM
James

Yoav Luft <yoav.luft <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've recently grown interested in Linux for embedded devices, specifically,
ARM computers and ARM core DSP's. I am a Gentoo-linux user and an electronics
technician, and know nothing about programming operating systems. Are there any
relevant projects, specifically Gentoo flavored once for embedded computing? I
did come across commercial embedded oriented distrobutions such as MonteVista
Linux and such. I am a hobbyist, I can't afford a hundreds of dollars
development kits, and I would like to use tools that I already somehow familiar
with, such tools as Gentoo's. But are they? can anyone point me to someone,
somewhere, beneath web-sphere?

Take a look here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/

Also, there is an excellent gentoo- embedded user support group:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml

Here are a few additional links, related to ARM processors:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_the_TS72xx_Single_Board_Computer_(Full_ Distro)
http://perpetual-notion.blogspot.com/2008/02/maverick-crunch-eabi-support-for.html

hth,

James