Old 04-25-2008, 02:00 PM
"Holger Hoffstaette"

Default --as-needed in LDFLAGS - hot or not?

Hi,

I was wondering what people's opinions are wrt. --as-needed in LDFLAGS
these days. I read the (somewhat dated by now?) guide and corresponding
tracker bug, and while it seems that the majority of packages works
correctly these days, there still seem to be some occasional problems.
Just wondering how many people use it by default (or explicitly removed it).
Until now I wasn't too aware of it, but it does look useful and "the right
thing" to do in general. Opinions please?

thanks
Holger

Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Thomas Kahle

Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Vaeth

> | I was wondering what people's opinions are wrt. --as-needed in LDFLAGS
> | these days.
>
> +1 for using it by default.
>
> I have exactly one package that fails and that is "superkaramba".

I use it for all packages, but my list of packages for which it fails
is somewhat longer (but not seriously):

app-portage/deltup
app-text/sablotron
games-arcade/xgalaga
media-gfx/pstoedit
media-video/avidemux
media-video/mpeg4ip
sci-mathematics/yacas
sys-fs/encfs

Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
"Sebastian Magri"

I have been using these among with others by default with no problems
at the moment.... I consider it safe for use... but some packages as
the mentioned above will fail.. so I have an auxiliar LDFLAGS line
commented to use wit these packages that only haves -Wl,-O1...

2008/4/28, Vaeth <vaeth@mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de>:

> > | I was wondering what people's opinions are wrt. --as-needed in LDFLAGS
> > | these days.
> >
> > +1 for using it by default.
> >
> > I have exactly one package that fails and that is "superkaramba".
>
> I use it for all packages, but my list of packages for which it fails
> is somewhat longer (but not seriously):
>
> app-portage/deltup
> app-text/sablotron
> games-arcade/xgalaga