Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
luis jure

Default automatically set default alsa card

on my laptop sometimes i have to use the internal sound card and
sometimes an external usb card.

is there a "gentoo way" to make alsa automatically change the default
audio device to the usb card when it's connected and active, and back
to the internal card when it's not?

best,

lj

Old 04-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Florian Philipp

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 18:37 -0300, luis jure wrote:
> on my laptop sometimes i have to use the internal sound card and
> sometimes an external usb card.
>
> is there a "gentoo way" to make alsa automatically change the default
> audio device to the usb card when it's connected and active, and back
> to the internal card when it's not?
>
> best,
>
> lj

We had this several times in the past few months. You might want to look
at the list's archive on http://www.gmane.org/

Log story short: Yes, it's possible but not very nice. Better use a
sound daemon that was created for such purposes like Pulseaudio.