Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Grub heartbreaker

Just when I began to think I knew a thing or two about grub I'm
finding I am failing to get a working grub.conf going on a new
install.

True, the install is inside a vmware machine on windows vista but that
has not presented a problem in previous versions of windows and it
does not appear to be host OS related anyway.

When I attempt to boot, instead of the normal selection one expects
from grub I get the grub command line.

So assuming I've made some mistake in grub.conf I try to boot from
grub command line.

root = (hd0,0) (which is /dev/sda1 in linux terms)

kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1

boot

But it fails with a message saying please append a working root=?? to
the boot commands.

So reloading the install ISO I mount /mnt/gentoo/boot and edit
grub.conf to say:

title=kernel-2.6.25-r1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/sda3

That fails
kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/hda3 (Thinking maybe grub
does not understand sda)

That Fails

kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0)/sda3

Fails

I've even tried:
kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0,2)

And another failure... all with the same message about appending a
working `root=???'

I'm about out of ideas here.

With the livecd for 2008.1 running, saying:

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
and
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

Does mount those devices as expected.

Inside the grub command line when trying to boot the new install
root (hd0,0)
does find the root partition and tell me its exf2fs.

kernel /kern<tab>

Does complete to `/kernel-2.6.25-r1'

I'm not getting where the problem is.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 24 April 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> So assuming I've made some mistake in grub.conf I try to boot from
> grub command line.
>
> root = (hd0,0) (which is /dev/sda1 in linux terms)
>
> kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1

Nope. Kernel needs a root=<device> parameter. It can't know what is your
root partition, that info is in fstab and fstab is on the root
partition.So you tell it via a parameter

> boot
>
> But it fails with a message saying please append a working root=?? to
> the boot commands.

expected result. see above.

> So reloading the install ISO I mount /mnt/gentoo/boot and edit
> grub.conf to say:
>
> title=kernel-2.6.25-r1
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/sda3
>
> That fails
> kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/hda3 (Thinking maybe grub
> does not understand sda)

Nothing to do with grub. It's a kernel boot parameter passed verbatim to
the kernel and needs valid kernel device names.

What's the error you get? Is (hd0,0) a separate /boot? Does it contain a
file called kernel-2.6.25-r1 at the top level? And you also should have
a "ro" kernel parameter in there

> That Fails
>
> kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0)/sda3
>
> Fails

Won't work. (hd0) is a grub thing. You need a /dev/sda3 or similar in
there

> I've even tried:
> kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0,2)

Won't work. Same reason.

> And another failure... all with the same message about appending a
> working `root=???'
>
> I'm about out of ideas here.

here's a working grub.conf for illustration:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Default
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro

title Gentoo-2.6.25
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 ro

Seems my setup is identical to yours:
/boot on /dev/sda1 aka (hd0,0) to grub
/ on /dev/sda3

Only difference is the "ro" boot parameter, which shouldn't make a
difference - it's there for fsck purposes during start-up.

What disk driver and disks do you have? Are you 100% sure you are either
using the new ata driver (everything is an sd) or have scsi/sata disks?
If your disk is IDE with the old driver, it will be an hd and will
require that on the kernel line

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM
John covici

on Thursday 04/24/2008 Alan McKinnon(alan.mckinnon@gmail.com) wrote
> On Thursday 24 April 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
> > So assuming I've made some mistake in grub.conf I try to boot from
> > grub command line.
> >
> > root = (hd0,0) (which is /dev/sda1 in linux terms)
> >
> > kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1
>
> Nope. Kernel needs a root=<device> parameter. It can't know what is your
> root partition, that info is in fstab and fstab is on the root
> partition.So you tell it via a parameter
>
> > boot
> >
> > But it fails with a message saying please append a working root=?? to
> > the boot commands.
>
> expected result. see above.
>

> > So reloading the install ISO I mount /mnt/gentoo/boot and edit
> > grub.conf to say:
> >
> > title=kernel-2.6.25-r1
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/sda3
> >
> > That fails
> > kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/hda3 (Thinking maybe grub
> > does not understand sda)
>
> Nothing to do with grub. It's a kernel boot parameter passed verbatim to
> the kernel and needs valid kernel device names.
>
> What's the error you get? Is (hd0,0) a separate /boot? Does it contain a
> file called kernel-2.6.25-r1 at the top level? And you also should have
> a "ro" kernel parameter in there
>
> > That Fails
> >
> > kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0)/sda3
> >
> > Fails
>
> Won't work. (hd0) is a grub thing. You need a /dev/sda3 or similar in
> there
>
> > I've even tried:
> > kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0,2)
>
> Won't work. Same reason.
>
> > And another failure... all with the same message about appending a
> > working `root=???'
> >
> > I'm about out of ideas here.
>
> here's a working grub.conf for illustration:
>
> default 0
> timeout 10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> title Default
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro
>
> title Gentoo-2.6.25
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 ro
>
> Seems my setup is identical to yours:
> /boot on /dev/sda1 aka (hd0,0) to grub
> / on /dev/sda3
>
> Only difference is the "ro" boot parameter, which shouldn't make a
> difference - it's there for fsck purposes during start-up.
>
> What disk driver and disks do you have? Are you 100% sure you are either
> using the new ata driver (everything is an sd) or have scsi/sata disks?
> If your disk is IDE with the old driver, it will be an hd and will
> require that on the kernel line

Well, I had to put a lot more parameters for it to work -- I am not
using grub but my parameters aside from the ro are
init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda2 udev
and some more specific to me. I am using something close to the
original gentoo configs, so it uses an initrd parameter also which you
need separately in grub.

Hope this helps.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM
darren kirby

quoth the John covici:
> [...]
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 ro
> >
> > Seems my setup is identical to yours:
> > /boot on /dev/sda1 aka (hd0,0) to grub
> > / on /dev/sda3
> >
> > Only difference is the "ro" boot parameter, which shouldn't make a
> > difference - it's there for fsck purposes during start-up.
> >
> > What disk driver and disks do you have? Are you 100% sure you are either
> > using the new ata driver (everything is an sd) or have scsi/sata disks?
> > If your disk is IDE with the old driver, it will be an hd and will
> > require that on the kernel line
>
> Well, I had to put a lot more parameters for it to work -- I am not
> using grub but my parameters aside from the ro are
> init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda2 udev
> and some more specific to me. I am using something close to the
> original gentoo configs, so it uses an initrd parameter also which you

That would only apply if in fact the OP is using an initrd, which does not
appear to be the case, though, the OP may have simply omitted this info.

Rather, as Alan mentioned, it seems the problem is that the kernel doesn't
agree that /dev/sda3 is the '/' filesystem. I have never used vmware, perhaps
it fudges device paths in some way?

> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
> John Covici
> covici@ccs.covici.com