Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
"Net Warrior"

Default Doubt about FLAG use

Hi there guys.
I've been reading the handbook about the FLAGS featrure usage, very
powerfull indeed, but, I just was wondering if there a way to define
some flags for a particular aplication and not in general.

Lets take a real case, mplayer, I'd like to revome some stuff I do not
use/like, for example, ipv6/ftp, joyskit for exmaple, is there a way
to define this kind of thing like USE{mplayer}"-ipv6 -ftp" in
make.conf ?

Thanks for your time and support.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thursday 24 April 2008, 15:49, Net Warrior wrote:
> Hi there guys.
> I've been reading the handbook about the FLAGS featrure usage, very
> powerfull indeed, but, I just was wondering if there a way to define
> some flags for a particular aplication and not in general.
>
> Lets take a real case, mplayer, I'd like to revome some stuff I do not
> use/like, for example, ipv6/ftp, joyskit for exmaple, is there a way
> to define this kind of thing like USE{mplayer}"-ipv6 -ftp" in
> make.conf ?
>
> Thanks for your time and support.

man portage explains this and many other things "you always wanted to
know about portage but were afraid to ask" (cit.). Hint: you have to
use /etc/portage/package.use. But read the man page thoroughly anyway.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Net Warrior wrote:
> Hi there guys.
> I've been reading the handbook about the FLAGS featrure usage, very
> powerfull indeed, but, I just was wondering if there a way to define
> some flags for a particular aplication and not in general.

/etc/portage/package.use/*

Check the various portage man pages:
man emerge
man 5 ebuild
man 5 portage

It's also in the handbook somewhere (don't recall off-hand where)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thursday 24 April 2008, 16:04, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> /etc/portage/package.use/*
>
> Check the various portage man pages:
> man emerge
> man 5 ebuild
> man 5 portage
>
> It's also in the handbook somewhere (don't recall off-hand where)

Here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2

Unfortunately, it's in the part of the handbook almost noone reads, since
they all stop at the first part, as soon as they finish installation.
Nonetheless, the handbook section not installation-related are by far
much more interesting and worth reading than the first part.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM
"Net Warrior"

I'm on it thank you guys !!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thursday 24 April 2008, 18:54, KH wrote:

> USE="-ipv6 -ftp" emerge -av mplayer

To the OP: this is exactly the kind of thing that should be avoided.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

1. Please don't top post

2. This is a very bad suggestion, as portage does not record the
settings used. With the next upgrade of mplayer, especially if it's a
deep world update, mplayer will be remerged with standard USE flags,
modified by make.conf and package.use. This will potentially pull in
unwanted ipv6 stuff for example.

long time now for these reasons.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thursday 24 April 2008, 19:14, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> 1. Please don't top post

This time, you top posted too. Was this deliberate or by accident?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
KH

Hi,

what does top post mean?

My fault. I new I read it somewhere but I did not spend enough time to
read everything.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2&chap=2

Declare temporary USE flags

Sometimes you want to set a certain USE setting only once. Instead of
editing /etc/make.conf twice (to do and undo the USE changes) you can
just declare the USE variable as environment variable. Remember that,
when you re-emerge or update this application (either explicitly or as
part of a system update) your changes will be lost!

As an example we will temporarily remove java from the USE setting
during the installation of seamonkey.

Code Listing 2.5: Using USE as environment variable

# USE="-java" emerge seamonkey