-   -   Help with mounting an ISO file as non-root (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/75120-help-mounting-iso-file-non-root.html)

"Mike Mazur" 04-24-2008 02:12 AM

Help with mounting an ISO file as non-root

Hi,

I'd like to mount an ISO image from the command line as non-root user.
Here are my attempts, each failing with the "only root can do that"
error message:

$ mount -o loop image.iso /mnt/
mount: only root can do that
$ mount -o user,loop image.iso /mnt/
mount: only root can do that
$ mount -o users,loop image.iso /mnt/
mount: only root can do that
$ mount -o user -o loop image.iso /mnt/
mount: only root can do that
$ mount -o users -o loop image.iso /mnt/
mount: only root can do that

I keep reading about how the mount and umount commands need the suid
bit set, which it already is:

$ ll /bin/mount /bin/umount
-rws--x--x 1 root root 51480 2008-04-10 14:11 /bin/mount
-rws--x--x 1 root root 34584 2008-04-10 14:11 /bin/umount

Furthermore, adding the following line to my /etc/fstab allows me to
mount the image as non-root:

/path/to/image.iso /mnt/ udf,iso9660 user,loop 0 0

However, this is not an option for me as I work with different
images/mount points all the time.

What can I do to be able to mount an arbitrary ISO image to an
arbitrary mount point from the command line as non-root user?

Thanks!
Mike

Norberto Bensa 04-24-2008 02:22 AM

Quoting Mike Mazur <mmazur@gmail.com>:

What can I do to be able to mount an arbitrary ISO image to an
arbitrary mount point from the command line as non-root user?

fuse-iso ?