Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Alan McKinnon

Default /etc/conf.d/net woes with baselayout2

Hi all,

Does baselayout-2 use /etc/conf.d/net? It seems not from this:

alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart
* Bringing up interface wlan0
* Configuring wireless network for wlan0
* Scanning for access points
* Found "tania" at 00:60:B3:30:8D:AB, managed, encrypted
* Found "belkin54g" at 00:30:BD:993:8B, managed
* Connecting to "tania" in managed mode (WEP enabled - open) ...
[ ok ]
* wlan0 connected to SSID "tania" at **************
* in managed mode (WEP enabled - open)
* No configuration specified; defaulting to DHCP
* dhcp ...
* Running dhcpcd ...
[ ok ]
* received address 10.0.0.3/24
[ ok ]

Note the "no configuration specified". However:

alan@nazgul ~ $ egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/conf.d/net
iface_eth0="dhcp"
iface_wlan0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0=""
dhcpcd_wlan0=""
modules=( "iwconfig" )

Has the location of the net init scripts changed?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:38:30 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Does baselayout-2 use /etc/conf.d/net? It seems not from this:

Yes, and with no changes needed here apart from the removal of Bash
arrays.

> alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart
> * Bringing up interface wlan0
> * Configuring wireless network for wlan0
> * Scanning for access points
> * Found "tania" at 00:60:B3:30:8D:AB, managed, encrypted
> * Found "belkin54g" at 00:30:BD:993:8B, managed
> * Connecting to "tania" in managed mode (WEP enabled -
> open) ... [ ok ]
> * wlan0 connected to SSID "tania" at **************
> * in managed mode (WEP enabled - open)
> * No configuration specified; defaulting to DHCP
> * dhcp ...
> * Running
> dhcpcd ... [ ok ]
> * received address
> 10.0.0.3/24 [ ok ]
>
> Note the "no configuration specified". However:
>
> alan@nazgul ~ $ egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/conf.d/net
> iface_eth0="dhcp"
> iface_wlan0="dhcp"

Those should be config_xxx="dhcp"

> modules=( "iwconfig" )

And this should now be modules="iwconfig", although I inadvertently left
a couple of Bash arrays in mine and it still worked (and I think iwconfig
is the default for wireless anyway).

> Has the location of the net init scripts changed?

Not unless you count an earlier baselayout2 ebuild sometimes deleting /etc/conf.d/net when it shouldn't

--
Neil Bothwick

Programming just with goto's is like swatting flies with a sledgehammer.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 24 April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > alan@nazgul ~ $ egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/conf.d/net
> > iface_eth0="dhcp"
> > iface_wlan0="dhcp"
>
> Those should be config_xxx="dhcp"
>
> > modules=( "iwconfig" )
>
> And this should now be modules="iwconfig", although I inadvertently
> left a couple of Bash arrays in mine and it still worked (and I think
> iwconfig is the default for wireless anyway).

Thanks Neil. I see now what happened - baselayout-2/openrc nuked my
existing /etc/conf.d/net so I remade it, but used an old net.example
for the syntax. Second time this has bitten me!