Old 04-23-2008, 08:02 PM
"John P. Burkett"

Default screen locks too frequently

Since doing "emerge -D -uav system" and "emerge -D -uav world" last
Saturday, I have noticed that my x86 machine locks itself up whenever
the keyboard and mouse are idle for about 10 minutes. Unlocking it is
simply a matter of typing the user's password. However, the frequency
with which I have to unlock the system is annoying. I would like to
either deactivate the locking system or increase the period of
inactivity allowed before the system locks. Unfortunately, I don't know
whether the locking is done by gentoo, x11, fluxbox, or some other
component of my system. My only clue is the appearance of the locked
screen: In the center of the screen there is a rectangle, within which
appear, from top to bottom, the user's name, the machine's name, a blank
for the user's password, and finally three buttons labeled "switch
user," "cancel," and "unlock." I would be very grateful for suggestions
about how to discover what program is locking the system and how to
change its behavior.

--
John P. Burkett
Department of Environmental and Natural Resource Economics

phone (401) 874-9195

Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 23 April 2008, John P. Burkett wrote:
> Since doing "emerge -D -uav system" and "emerge -D -uav world" last
> Saturday, I have noticed that my x86 machine locks itself up whenever
> the keyboard and mouse are idle for about 10 minutes. Unlocking it is
> simply a matter of typing the user's password. However, the frequency
> with which I have to unlock the system is annoying. I would like to
> either deactivate the locking system or increase the period of
> inactivity allowed before the system locks. Unfortunately, I don't
> know whether the locking is done by gentoo, x11, fluxbox, or some
> other component of my system. My only clue is the appearance of the
> locked screen: In the center of the screen there is a rectangle,
> within which appear, from top to bottom, the user's name, the
> machine's name, a blank for the user's password, and finally three
> buttons labeled "switch user," "cancel," and "unlock." I would be
> very grateful for suggestions about how to discover what program is
> locking the system and how to change its behavior.

I get something like this every so often with e17. Very annoying. A good
start would be to find out what launched the password dialog. When it
next happens, switch to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and log in as
root. Run 'ps axf' and identify the offending process. It's
likely 'gksudo' or such. The name of it's parent tells you where to
start looking next

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 16:02 -0400, John P. Burkett wrote:

> My only clue is the appearance of the locked
> screen: In the center of the screen there is a rectangle, within which
> appear, from top to bottom, the user's name, the machine's name, a blank
> for the user's password, and finally three buttons labeled "switch
> user," "cancel," and "unlock." I would be very grateful for suggestions
> about how to discover what program is locking the system and how to
> change its behavior.

sounds like gnome-screensaver. I prefer xscreensaver for it's greater
configuration options - opinions vary.

To disable it, you can use gnome-screensaver-preferences and play with
the options. To get rid of it, use gnome-session-properties.

HTH,

History repeats itself -- the first time as a tragi-comedy, the second
time as bedroom farce.