Old 04-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Default root password on 2008.1-i686 minimal install

I'm unable to log in as root on the installer OS for 2008.1_beta iso.

I see nothing telling me what the root password is but the installer
prompts me for a username and password. When logging in as root
fails I'm eventually logged in as user `gentoo' but can do none of the
things necessary to create an install.

This seem pretty ridiculous so I'm pretty sure I'm missing some note
or something.

Starting the install with or without framebuffer appears to make no
difference in the end result.

I get a sorry little xfce desktop with no way to get to a root
terminal.

How can I ditch the sorry little desktop and use text mode and get
logged in with the necessary root premissions?

There is a `help' option on the boot screen but when I select it I get
a very fast scroll thru a massive file then jumps back to login
screen. Absolutely useless for any help.

This install is inside a vmware as guest so maybe some of this works
better in a normal install... I hope so.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
"Prado, Renato (R.)"

Switch to another VTTY (Ctrl+Atl+F1 for instance), 'passwd', specify the
desired password, switch to Xorg again (Ctrl+Alt+F7 if I am not wrong), 'su'
and that's it.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM
"Chris Brennan"

I haven't used 2008.1b1 yet so forgive me if I am a little off.

By default, <200X.X would give you a prompt whereby you type passwd
and set the root password to a known value.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
deface

the root pass is scrambled. but it appears you failed to follow the
instructions posted at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=install

If you have network, use the minimal cd.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:20 PM
deface

Hit Send too quick. The 'installer' is frowned upon on the actual
'gentoo' scene. it lacks alot of customization that you can gain from
doing it cli style. check out gentoo-install.com for a quick skinny
guide.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 PM

"Chris Brennan" <xaero@xaerolimit.net> writes:

> I haven't used 2008.1b1 yet so forgive me if I am a little off.
>
> By default, <200X.X would give you a prompt whereby you type passwd
> and set the root password to a known value.

Not on the installer iso for i686 2008.1
But I think another poster has posted the answer

From Renato P:
> Switch to another VTTY (Ctrl+Atl+F1 for instance), 'passwd', specify
> the desired password, switch to Xorg again (Ctrl+Alt+F7 if I am not
> wrong), 'su' and that's it.

I haven't actually tried it, I just went to the installer for x86
2008.1 which doesn't have that problem.

But let me apologize and say I see now what I did wrong. What I was
calling an installer for i686-2008.1beta was actually the liveCD which
is different. The installer for x86 2008.1 has not such problem and I
suspect the installer for i686-2008.1 doesn't either.

Far as the live cd goes:
It still needs to be made clear how to get to root right in the dialog
during startup not on some webpage.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
James

<reader <at> newsguy.com> writes:

> Far as the live cd goes:
> It still needs to be made clear how to get to root right in the dialog
> during startup not on some webpage.

Well, I have not tried any of the 2008 installation media, yet.
However on 2007, here's what I use to do to get root, during
the graphical install procedure.

At the top, under one of the main buttons, I'd find and launch
a graphical terminal session. Then just type in 'sudo' or 'sudo -'
or something like that, and it throws you into root. You can then
do anything you want as root, like run lshw or lspci -v or such
while continuing on with the graphical installation.

I'm not sure if this is available in the 2008 installation media.

hth,
James