Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Default net-setup package

"Net Warrior" <netwarrior863@gmail.com> writes:

> HI there guys.
> I've already installed gentoo, and wanting to setup the ethernet , trying to
> use net-setup seems not to be installed, which package do I nneed to install
> in order to have this util?
> It seems I missed something.
>
> Thanks for your time and support.
> Greets,

The net-setup tool is on the install cd. Not sure if its a separate
installable utility in portage.. but an `eix' search of the portage
database comes up empty.

The way I do is establish a network running the install image cd or
iso then transfer those settings to the actual install.

But if you've already moved to the fresh install you should be able to
setup the ethernet by hand with `ifconfig' and `route'.

Then put those setting into /etc/conf.d/net
/etc/conf.d/domainname
/etc/resolv.conf

For manual setup:
(assuming eth0 is the device you are going to use)

ifconfig eth0 my.ip.address (in numeric notation like 192.168.0.2) up
route add default gw my.gateway.addr (in numeric notation)

(if /etc/resolv.conf does not already contain a nameserver to use)

echo "nameserver my.nameserver.address" > /etc/resolv.conf

And finally, if all goes well.. complete the setup so that it starts
on bootup with rc-update

rc-update add net.eth0 default (to add it to the default run level)

See if that gets you going...

Old 04-23-2008, 04:16 PM
"Chris Brennan"

The handbook tells you this as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
"Net Warrior"

Yes, I did it manually as stated in the handbook, I'll take a look if I can copy net-setup from the install CD.

Thank you very much.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
"Chris Brennan"

did you symlink net.lo to net.YOUR_ETH_DEVICE ?

did you add said new symlink to the boot/default runtime?

C-

Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM
"Net Warrior"

Yes, I could set up my ethernet manually , just wondering if the setup-eth0 utils was a part of a packages I missed to install, cuz after
loging in to the new installed system could not find it, but, is not matter of death and life

Gentoo seems to be ( my humble opinion* withing my first 24 usage hours ) a very robust system, I come from a freebsd land, and so, in my need to use a linux distro ( tried ubuntu, a mess ) gentoo has all I have in freebsd, the portage is what I like most, the way to be up to date with ports ans system, emerge does a good job, like portsnap/pkg_tools does for freebsd.

The only think I found, how can I say, weird, is the installation, the need to do all the stuff by hand, just a basic install like bsd does ( 100 MB ) and then install the rest fro* the network, would be nice, I'm too lazy to do paritioning/swap/choot

I'll needto go deeper with the FLAGS features, still do not understand some things, I have things by default by the moment, eventhough it's a powerfull feature, I know that I can screw it up the howle system.

Anyway, I'm almost done, I'm still compiling my stuff, and I'm happy the way it does things, great job.

Thank you for your time and support.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM
"Chris Brennan"

three place to keep in mind, they will be your best friend when in doubt

www.gentoo.org/doc
forums.gentoo.org
gentoo-wiki.com

These are a good first stop

Anyway, happy gentooing >D

Old 04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Philip Webb

080423 Net Warrior wrote:
> Gentoo seems to be (my first 24 hours) a very robust system

Yes, it is very reliable & this list is usually helpful.

> tried ubuntu, a mess

That was my own reaction on the 1 occasion I tried it (smile).

> I come from a freebsd land and gentoo has all I have in freebsd,
> portage is what I like most, the way to be upto date with ports,
> emerge does a good job, like portsnap/pkg_tools does for freebsd.

IIRC Gentoo was based on FreeBSD, though it has developed a lot since.

> The only thing I found weird is the installation,
> the need to do all the stuff by hand,
> just a basic install like bsd does ( 100 MB )
> and then install the rest fro the network would be nice,
> I'm too lazy to do paritioning/swap/choot

Think of it as like joining the Freemasons:
the trial-by-fire of installing Gentoo keeps out the unfit (grin).
I made 5 pp of notes when installing on my newly-built box 2007-10-xx ,
but now everything is working even better than after my 1st install 2003 .

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto