Old 04-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Matt Harrison

Default OpenRC broke my LVM?

Hi folks,

I've been running a gentoo system as my fileserver without problems for
a while. Its using software raid (1+0) with lvm on top, and its been a
dream until now.

The other day I did an emerge world and had a message about an sqlite
ebuild missing from the repository. Well I had other things to do so I
thought I'd leave that for now (sqlite isn't critical).

Now after a reboot I can't mount my LVM partitions, my raid is working
fine, but nothing I can do will discover my lvm partitions or volumes.
If i try to manually start the lvm service, I get the message about it
being written for baselayout-2 and not being suitable for baselayout-1.

I've managed to find some info about the OpenRC and baselayout-2 change,
however nothing seems to apply to my situation, and I certainly never
meant to do an upgrade that would make such a serious change.

Is there some way I can recover my system without having to re-install?
I've got a lot of data that I would cry if i lost, although I think the
data is ok...I'm just really confused about this baselayout-2 change.

Because all my partitions (except root and boot) are on LVM, I can't get
to see if i accidentally installed something wrong, and I can't even try
to re-emerge lvm etc.

Any tips would be greately appreciated.

Thanks

Matt Harrison

Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Dave Jones

Hi Matt

[...]

Add lvm to your boot run level for baselayout-2:

rc-update add lvm boot

Cheers, Dave