Old 04-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Default driver for ATI RAdeon HD3650

What would be the best driver for a ATI RAdeon HD3650 graphic interface ?
Preferably Open Source.
Thanks for sharing your experience

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM
"b.n."

alain.didierjean@free.fr ha scritto:

What would be the best driver for a ATI RAdeon HD3650 graphic interface ?
Preferably Open Source.
Thanks for sharing your experience

Sorry if stating the obvious, but have you already tried this guide?
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RadeonHD

m.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Selon "b.n." <brullonulla@gmail.com>:

> alain.didierjean@free.fr ha scritto:
> > What would be the best driver for a ATI RAdeon HD3650 graphic interface ?
> > Preferably Open Source.
> > Thanks for sharing your experience
>
> Sorry if stating the obvious, but have you already tried this guide?
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RadeonHD

I finally used ati-drivers, as it's supposed to fully support the 3000 ATI
cards. It installs all right, but launching X goes fine until it prints
"PreInitDAL failed" in Xorg.0.log sticks to a X black screen. Only way to get
out of it: "magic keys" Alt-PrtScr-k...
What's that DAL thing ? How to have it "PreInit", then init ?
The problem seems to occur with various ATI cards, various fglrx versions since
at least 2004. Many solutions have been found, but none that works for me. Any
cue ? Please help.
amd64 double core, Powercolor HD3650 w/512Mb RAM

Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 AM

Selon alain.didierjean@free.fr:

> What would be the best driver for a ATI RAdeon HD3650 graphic interface ?
> Preferably Open Source.
> Thanks for sharing your experience

I finally install ATI proprietary driver, as it seems to be the only one to
fully support this HD3650 card. It emerges fine, but when trying to launch X, it
gives up with the message "PreInitDAL failed". What is this DAL thing ? What can
I do ? Searching the web shows this error to be common on different platforms
with different ATI graphic cards since some time. Proposed remedies are
different from one case to the other... Both amd64 and ~amd64 drivers behave the
same...
Any cue ? I'm desperate...