Old 04-21-2008, 05:55 AM

Default Index the doc

fter being a user (for at least a year each) of Redhat, Suse, Debian I finally
went to Gentoo and intend to stick to it.

What I like most:
- I had to reinstall only once, when I changed my computer. That's great !
Experience has taught me that, should a new version be issued, the safer and
least time consuming way to keep up with other linux is to reinstall. Not on
Gentoo!

- the other great feature is the abundant, detailed and practical documentation.
You're never left on your own.

Which is where a problem lies: the doc being so big, most of the time, the best
way to find what you're looking for is to ask for a pointer on this list. It
sure works, but I think it's about time to launch a documentation indexing
project, to make a search entry available on the main doc page of gentoo.org.
What do you think folks?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 21 April 2008, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:

> Which is where a problem lies: the doc being so big, most of the
> time, the best way to find what you're looking for is to ask for a
> pointer on this list. It sure works, but I think it's about time to
> launch a documentation indexing project, to make a search entry
> available on the main doc page of gentoo.org. What do you think
> folks?

You get used to it after a while and start to learn where stuff is :-)

Personally, I tend not to use site's various indexes on their front
page. A much better index already exists - Google. In konqueoror:

gg:<search strings> site:gentoo.org

works for me

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:43:04 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Personally, I tend not to use site's various indexes on their front
> page. A much better index already exists - Google. In konqueoror:
>
> gg:<search strings> site:gentoo.org

Me too, although I find a search of all of gentoo.org pulls in too much
irrelevant information from the forums and mailing lists, so I usually
start with site:www.gentoo.org/doc

--
Neil Bothwick

Guns don't kill people--it's those little pieces of lead.