Old 04-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Default iwlwifi - problem with wireless radio being killed

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with a 4965AGN. I'd been using the iwlwifi
package with a 2.6.23 kernel. I just moved to
tuxonice-sources-2.6.24-r4, so I'm now using the iwlwifi driver that's
included with the kernel.

Now if I need to restart the wireless interface
(using /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart), it goes down fine but fails to
come back up. I get this error:

* Wireless radio has been killed for interface

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting. FWIW, here's how the
kernel is configured:

~ $ zgrep -i mac80211 /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_MAC80211=m
CONFIG_MAC80211_RCSIMPLE=y
# CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG is not set

zgrep -i iwl /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_IWLWIFI=y
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_SENSITIVITY=y
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_SPECTRUM_MEASUREMENT=y
CONFIG_IWLWIFI_QOS=y
CONFIG_IWL4965=m
# CONFIG_IWL3945 is not set

Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
"Cristian Gary"

hi, *the fast " and not the pretty way" *to set on the Wireless radio interface , ***when you have this problem
do this.*"iwconfig wlan0 txpower on" *and*then***"/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start"

[...]

Cristian Gonzalo Gary Bufadel

Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:02:33 -0400, Cristian Gary wrote:

> hi, the fast " and not the pretty way" to set on the Wireless radio
> interface , when you have this problem
> do this. "iwconfig wlan0 txpower on" and then "/etc/init.d/net.wlan0
> start"

Or put the iwconfig command in the preup function in /etc/conf.d/net.

--
Neil Bothwick

Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 PM

"Cristian Gary" <cristiangary@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/20/08, Q <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have a Sony Vaio laptop with a 4965AGN. I'd been using the
> > iwlwifi package with a 2.6.23 kernel. I just moved to
> > tuxonice-sources-2.6.24-r4, so I'm now using the iwlwifi driver
> > that's included with the kernel.
> >
> > Now if I need to restart the wireless interface
> > (using /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart), it goes down fine but fails
> > to come back up. I get this error:
> >
> > * Wireless radio has been killed for interface

> hi, the fast " and not the pretty way" to set on the Wireless radio
> interface , when you have this problem
> do this. "iwconfig wlan0 txpower on" and then
> "/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start"

Thanks. That works.

I wish I knew how to keep it from going off in the first place, but
for now I'll just give an alias to
"/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop && iwconfig wlan0 txpower on && /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start"

Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:42:41 -0500, Q wrote:

> I wish I knew how to keep it from going off in the first place,

It's probably a good thing, especially if your laptop's battery is as
rubbish as mine

> for now I'll just give an alias to
> "/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop && iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
> && /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start"

There's no need to mess around with aliases, the network scripts can
handle this automatically. Add this to /etc/conf.d/net

preup() {
[[ ${IFACE} == "wlan0" ]] && iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
return 0
}

--
Neil Bothwick

Pentium is a risk processor

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:30:26 +0100
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:42:41 -0500, Q wrote:
>
> > I wish I knew how to keep it from going off in the first place,
>
> It's probably a good thing, especially if your laptop's battery is as
> rubbish as mine

I guess so. I'm used to shutting it down with the hardware switch when
I'm on battery and not connected to the 'net, and I'd never considered
how nice it would be to have it handled automagically.

> > for now I'll just give an alias to
> > "/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 stop && iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
> > && /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 start"
>
> There's no need to mess around with aliases,

I was already using an alias to restart the interface, just to
save typing. But I certainly agree with you that configuring it to
power up is a cleaner way to handle it.

> the network scripts can
> handle this automatically. Add this to /etc/conf.d/net
>
> preup() {
> [[ ${IFACE} == "wlan0" ]] && iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
> return 0
> }

Thanks much. That works nicely. I had tried

iwconfig_wlan0="txpower on"

In /etc/conf.d/net, as the wireless.example file suggested that as a
way to use iwconfig commands, but it didn't work. The power would
be turned on, but the card couldn't successfully connect to an AP.
Maybe using preup() causes the power to be on sooner?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM

Q <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:30:26 +0100
> Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> > preup() {
> > [[ ${IFACE} == "wlan0" ]] && iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
> > return 0
> > }
>
> Thanks much. That works nicely. I had tried
>
> iwconfig_wlan0="txpower on"
>
> In /etc/conf.d/net, as the wireless.example file suggested that as a
> way to use iwconfig commands, but it didn't work. The power would
> be turned on, but the card couldn't successfully connect to an AP.
> Maybe using preup() causes the power to be on sooner?

Never mind the question -- it's clear from the init script's output
that preup() is called before anything else. As if it shouldn't have
been clear to me just by reading "preup".