Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Florian Philipp

Default Best practices - flexible XServer

Hi list!

I found my current XServer-setup very inflexible and would like to hear
some tips for improving it. What I would like to have is a customizable
plug'n'play setup which I can configure without restarting the XServer.

Since I have a notebook, there are many occasions where I have to work
with hardware I don't know and on other occasions I need to use my own
peripheral devices as good as possible. So I need to customize my setup
for the devices I use every day without breaking compatibility with
unknown standard hardware.

So, what's the best way for configuring

1. usage of my own Logitech mouse as well as typical USB-mice and my
touchpad.
2. USB-keyboards as well as the build-in, all with custom multimedia and
Fn-keys.
3. external displays (VGA, DVI, LCD and TV-Out, one at a time would be
enough) with different aspects and resolutions with 3D-acceleration on
my Intel i945.

It should work with a minimum of additional software, no KDE, minimal
GNOME, XFCE preferred.

Thanks in advance!

Florian Philipp

Old 04-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:48:31AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> 1. usage of my own Logitech mouse as well as typical USB-mice and my
> touchpad.

You probably can define separate device section for:
• touchpad
• your logitech mouse
• any other mouse

and in the server layout have touchpad as core device (CorePointer) and
the other ones have as "SendCoreEvents" ‒ which marks it as slave device
when present and does not need it to be there to start.

> 2. USB-keyboards as well as the build-in, all with custom multimedia and
> Fn-keys.

This works for me with only one keyboard section and, I just had to make
the keybindings and some assignments in .Xmodmap.

> 3. external displays (VGA, DVI, LCD and TV-Out, one at a time would be
> enough) with different aspects and resolutions with 3D-acceleration on
> my Intel i945.

You can use xrandr and it's ability to add/remove screens while running.

Do you want to see the config and/or some scripts I use to manage it?

--
You can't have everything... where would you put it?
-- Steven Wright

Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Old 04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
William Kenworthy

I think you are looking for problems where they dont exist:

point your xorg.conf at /dev/input/mice - then all mice end up under the
one reference. i.e., plug in a usbmouse and once the modules are
loaded, its automatically seen by the xserver.

Keyboards (usb) and the native keyboard (on desktops or laptops) just
work - never had to look into how as its always been ok.

i945, not so easy, but it can be done. My laptop with a intel display
chipset (I think its a 945 or maybe 965 - not with me att) changes
resolutions and switches between int/ext or both. Have not tried driving
a TV off it - doesnt have a port for it. The tricks in how you setup
xorg.conf. That being said, the xorg intel drivers were quite
problematic, but the latest at least seems stable. I move between areas
where I use 1024x768 into projectors and a MS wireless laptop mouse,
desktops with an external LCD monitor (1280x1024), keyboard and dell
optical mouse and standalone (1366x768). All devices work as plug/play
- no rebooting needed. I use desktop icons calling a script that runns
xrandr to set the deisplay resolutions (there is a gnome taskbar applet
to it as well)

Basicly for your requirements, its just making sure its correctly setup!
Google!

BillK

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 11:48 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I found my current XServer-setup very inflexible and would like to hear
> some tips for improving it. What I would like to have is a customizable
> plug'n'play setup which I can configure without restarting the XServer.

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Sun Apr 20 13:30:02 2008