Old 04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Francesco Talamona

Default Raid5 not assembled after boot

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Roy Wright wrote:
> Looking thru dmesg and /var/log/messages, it looks like there are no
> attempts to start the array until I manually try.
>
> Any hints on what I'm missing?

Personal experience:

1) don't mix raidtools stuff with mdadm, use only the latter (I'm not
saying you used raidtools, but I found a lot of misleading
documentation lying around)

2) check carefully the UUID of *all* the partitions, I had exactly the
same issue, that I discovered to be caused by a leftover partition that
was part of a different raid set (spurious UUID). At some point in the
bootup the correct set were disassembled.

3) evms can badly intefere with mdadm (or it was LVM?): try to modify a
partition/raid setup and it always appears busy, preventing any
editing.

HTH
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.24-gentoo-r4, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Wed Apr 2 08:07:24
CEST 2008

Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 PM
Roy Wright

Francesco Talamona wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008, Roy Wright wrote:
>> Looking thru dmesg and /var/log/messages, it looks like there are no
>> attempts to start the array until I manually try.
>>
>> Any hints on what I'm missing?
>
> Personal experience:
>
> 1) don't mix raidtools stuff with mdadm, use only the latter (I'm not
> saying you used raidtools, but I found a lot of misleading
> documentation lying around)
>
> 2) check carefully the UUID of *all* the partitions, I had exactly the
> same issue, that I discovered to be caused by a leftover partition that
> was part of a different raid set (spurious UUID). At some point in the
> bootup the correct set were disassembled.
>
> 3) evms can badly intefere with mdadm (or it was LVM?): try to modify a
> partition/raid setup and it always appears busy, preventing any
> editing.

Thank you.

I only used mdadm following the gentoo.org docs and gentoo-wiki howtos.

Just confirmed all three drives and the mdadm.conf UUID's are the same.

evms not installed.
lvm2 not installed. yet.

I think I found the answer in the man page:

--auto-detect
Request that the kernel starts any auto-detected arrays.
This can only work if md is compiled into the kernel
-- not if it is a module. Arrays can be auto-detected
by the kernel if all the components are in primary MS-DOS
partitions with partition type FD. In-kernel autodetect
is not recommended for new installations. Using mdadm to
detect and assemble arrays -- possibly in an initrd -- is
substantially more flexible and should be preferred.

Basically it seems that I need to add a "mdadm --assemble --scan" to a
startup file.

Thanks again!

Have fun,
Roy