Old 04-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Roy Wright

Default Raid5 not assembled after boot

Howdy,

This is the first time I've played with a software raid and it looks
like I'm missing a part.

The raid5 consists of three AHCI 1TB drives (sdb1,sdc1,sdd1) assembled
as /dev/md1 and formatted ext3. The raid is just a data drive mounted
on /var/media.

Here's the array line from /etc/mdadm.conf:

ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid5 num-devices=3
UUID=32d159bf:9c7d988b:1caf26c5:a35f83fb

After boot, /dev/md1 does not exist.

I can run:

mdadm --assemble /dev/md1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

which starts /dev/md1 then I can mount the raid fine.

I've tried adding:

DEVICE /dev/sd[bcd]1

to /etc/mdadm.conf, no observable effect.

/etc/init.d/mdadm is in the boot rc level and is running after boot (I
was expecting this to start the array).

Looking thru dmesg and /var/log/messages, it looks like there are no
attempts to start the array until I manually try.

Any hints on what I'm missing?

TIA,
Roy