-   -   Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/72660-messed-up-how-do-i-emerge-coreutils-once-coreutils-gone.html)

"Mark Knecht" 04-19-2008 06:27 PM

Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?

I have a little Mac Mini - my first attempt at Gentoo on a PowerPC -
that I brought up this week. It was (is) working but I'm not using it
for anything yet. Just playing around with the machine. Nothing
serious.

This morning I wasn't paying much attention and wanted to do an emerge
-DuN world. The process had blocking issues:

MacMini ~ # emerge -pv coreutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] sys-devel/automake-1.10.1 [1.10] 897 kB
[ebuild U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1 [6.9-r1] USE="acl nls
(-selinux) -static -vanilla% -xattr" 3,670 kB
[blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1)
[blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)

Total: 2 packages (2 upgrades, 2 blocks), Size of downloads: 4,566 kB

so without any real thought I did an emerge -C coreutils and walked
away. Well, that, it seems, was a *very* bad idea. Now nothing much
works. There were some messages that had I been watching I would have
stopped the process but I wasn't so there you go. Oops.

Anyway, the machine is still up and running but I suspect that it
might not reboot or allow logins if it did reboot. I'm unable to
emerge anything right now. coreutils, as folks probably know, includes
stuff that once gone pretty much stops the machine from being
interesting or useful.

Question: Is there a way to recover from this?

It's not a huge issue even if I have to completely rebuild the
machine. As I say this was mostly a Gentoo build on a lark to test out
how the machine might work for a couple of different ideas -
mythfrontend and a simple router. Everything was quick and dirty and
there are a few things I might change anyway, but if I can get it
working again I figure I should learn how.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mick 04-19-2008 06:57 PM

On Saturday 19 April 2008, forgottenwizard wrote:
> On 11:27 Sat 19 Apr , Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Question: Is there a way to recover from this?
>
> Try going into a LiveCD and either copy the coreutils from a stage, or
> try re-emerging it there.

Of course if you want more detail check previous posts on this very topic:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/197609
Mick

Francesco Talamona 04-19-2008 07:04 PM

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> [ebuild * * U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1 [6.9-r1] USE="acl nls
> (-selinux) -static -vanilla% -xattr" 3,670 kB
> [blocks B * * ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1) [blocks B * * ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10
> (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)

You are just another victim, search this list for the last week posts
for the recovery details. Basically you have to use install disc to
copy all the "core utils" now missing. Once recovered you are again
able to emerge coreutils

The explanation of the message above is: coreutils is going to upgrade
from version 6.9-r1 to 6.10-r1, the latter (and other versions above)
includes mktemp, so to avoid conflicts it is required to uninstall
mktemp, now provided elsewhere.

HTH
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.24-gentoo-r4, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Wed Apr 2 08:07:24
CEST 2008

Justin 04-19-2008 07:07 PM

Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?

Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences? Always
ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!

"Mark Knecht" 04-19-2008 07:08 PM

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@email.it> wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > [ebuild U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1 [6.9-r1] USE="acl nls
> > (-selinux) -static -vanilla% -xattr" 3,670 kB
> > [blocks B ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking
> > sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1) [blocks B ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10
> > (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)
>
> You are just another victim, search this list for the last week posts
> for the recovery details. Basically you have to use install disc to
> copy all the "core utils" now missing. Once recovered you are again
> able to emerge coreutils
>
> The explanation of the message above is: coreutils is going to upgrade
> from version 6.9-r1 to 6.10-r1, the latter (and other versions above)
> includes mktemp, so to avoid conflicts it is required to uninstall
> mktemp, now provided elsewhere.
>
> HTH
> Francesco

And unfortunately I chose to uninstall coreutils rather than mktemp
which caused the problems. Thanks.

It doesn't seem the link to the Walter Dnes doesn't give the answer
but suggests like you do that there is an answer out there. I'll see
if I can find the instructions on how to copy the correct stuff.

Thanks,
Mark

"Dirk Heinrichs" 04-19-2008 07:51 PM

Am Samstag, den 19.04.2008, 21:08 +0200 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> It doesn't seem the link to the Walter Dnes doesn't give the answer
> but suggests like you do that there is an answer out there.

No. It's the "Crippled system" thread.

Bye...

Dirk

Mick 04-19-2008 08:00 PM

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Justin wrote:
> Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences? Always
> ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - but pretty useless in its timing. I don't
know about the OP, but I usually discover that I did something stupid after
the event . . . ;-)
Mick

CJoeB 04-19-2008 08:13 PM

Justin wrote:
Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences?
Always ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!

I think you're being a little harsh. :-) Usually, unmerging a package
that is blocking another package has, in my limited experience, always
solved the problem. I probably would have fallen victim to this had I
not been reading the problems that others have had.

No matter, my intention is not to start a war and this is too late for
the people that have already caused themselves grief by removing
coreutils. However, once I read the problems that others have
encountered when they did this, I searched the forums. A post from
earlier this year saved my butt! This is the command that was suggested
and worked fine for me:

emerge -C mktemp && emerge -uavDNt world

Hopefully, it will help others who have not yet become Gentoo gurus.

Regards,

Colleen.

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Uwe Thiem 04-19-2008 08:15 PM

Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Justin wrote:
> Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences?
> Always ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!

You know, shit happens. It shouldn't but it does. Like you aren't
really paying attention being sidetracked, and the shit hits the fan.
Happens.To all of us. Unless you are one of those who never make
mistakes, never get sidetracked, never pay less than 100% attention,
never assume where you are actually supposed to know,... The list
goes on. The OP had a knee jerk reaction, did what had seemed insane
on second thougt but didn't spent such. It happens. He actually
axplained how it happened. That's human.

Did you never make dire mistakes? Well, if you haven't you may keep
throwing stones in a glasshouse.

For the OP: There was a long thread about this just last week.

Uwe

--
Informal Linux Group Namibia:
http://www.linux.org.na/

Dale 04-19-2008 08:43 PM

Uwe Thiem wrote:

Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences?
Always ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!

You know, shit happens. It shouldn't but it does. Like you aren't
really paying attention being sidetracked, and the shit hits the fan.
Happens.To all of us. Unless you are one of those who never make
mistakes, never get sidetracked, never pay less than 100% attention,
never assume where you are actually supposed to know,... The list
goes on. The OP had a knee jerk reaction, did what had seemed insane
on second thougt but didn't spent such. It happens. He actually
axplained how it happened. That's human.

Did you never make dire mistakes? Well, if you haven't you may keep
throwing stones in a glasshouse.

For the OP: There was a long thread about this just last week.

Uwe

And since so many other people did this too, he just called a LOT of
people stupid. Not good.

It didn't happen to me but only because I saw what other people did and
that mktemp was the one to get rid of instead of coreutils. Otherwise,
I would have been one of the stupid people too. Then again, I have
backups. :-p

Dale

:-) :-)