Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Peter Humphrey

Default Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?

On Sunday 27 April 2008 11:55:12 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Sudo is so much better and infinitely less intrusive. It's also a solved
> problem years ago. Why didn't they use it?

NIH.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Sunday 27 April 2008 11:55:12 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Sudo is so much better and infinitely less intrusive. It's also a
> > solved problem years ago. Why didn't they use it?
>
> NIH.

Of course, silly me. I was forgetting who exactly the who in question
was :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> 'su -' and become root where everything is allowed.
> 'sudo' or a gui derivative. If the user has been authorized by root,
> just run the whole command with root priviledges as the user can
> obviously be trusted.

You could also try my su-wrapper - it maps specific uid+cmdline
to another uid+cmdline. Fine for things like allowing specific
users to dialup, etc.

> Microsoft's stated reason for this is to annoy users so much that they
> will annoy 3rd party developers who will write software that doesn't
> need root to install. Hmmmm.

*rofl*
Well, that's just the "good old" M$ way ;-P

cu

Old 04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Stroller

Microsoft's stated reason for this is to annoy users so much that they
will annoy 3rd party developers who will write software that doesn't
need root to install. Hmmmm.

Is this not - substantially - the same as the reason for the Portage
QA warning messages?

Stroller.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 28 April 2008, Stroller wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2008, at 11:55, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Microsoft's stated reason for this is to annoy users so much that
> > they will annoy 3rd party developers who will write software that
> > doesn't need root to install. Hmmmm.
>
> Is this not - substantially - the same as the reason for the Portage
> QA warning messages?

hehehe, well spotted :-)

Superficially similar, but very different in implementation. Portage
tells you about stuff that could be improved, it can be disabled by
those who don't know what to do about it and the user has the choice.

UAC just gets in your face like an annoying fruit fly buzzing round your
nose and won't go away. The user does not have a choice worth a damn
and is not in control

Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 PM
"John Krukoff"

UAC can be disabled. Fairly easily, in fact:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-ua
c-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

---------
John Krukoff