Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default Messed up - how do I emerge coreutils once coreutils is gone?

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Uwe Thiem wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 19 April 2008, Justin wrote:
> >

> > > Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences? Always
> ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!
> > >

> > You know, shit happens. It shouldn't but it does. Like you aren't really
> paying attention being sidetracked, and the shit hits the fan. Happens.To
> all of us. Unless you are one of those who never make mistakes, never get
> sidetracked, never pay less than 100% attention, never assume where you are
> actually supposed to know,... The list goes on. The OP had a knee jerk
> reaction, did what had seemed insane on second thougt but didn't spent such.
> It happens. He actually axplained how it happened. That's human.
> >
> > Did you never make dire mistakes? Well, if you haven't you may keep
> throwing stones in a glasshouse.
> > For the OP: There was a long thread about this just last week.
> >
> > Uwe
> >

> And since so many other people did this too, he just called a LOT of people
> stupid. Not good.
>
> It didn't happen to me but only because I saw what other people did and
> that mktemp was the one to get rid of instead of coreutils. Otherwise, I
> would have been one of the stupid people too. Then again, I have backups.
> :-p
>
> Dale

Thanks Dale, Uwe, and everyone else who responded. I really appreciate
your support.

Not worth a email to answer my detractor. He has his point of view. I
suppose he's entitled.

The system is back to working now as far as I can tell. Without all of
you I would hardly have known exactly how to proceed. With your help I
made some headway. Not sure yet whether it will reboot successfully
but at least I could emerge coreutils and mktemp successfully again.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 04-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Question: Is there a way to recover from this?

you should have busybox installed.

Just create a symlink for every tool needed.

ln -s bb ls and something like that. If even ln is gone, do it from busybox
itself - it has everything needed built-in.

After that, emerge coreutils (with the buildpkg option). This creates are
tarball. Now check. Have been all symlinks replaced with the right tool?
If yes. Goto end. Everything is ok.
If not. Open tarball, cp the tools.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:52 PM
"Chris Brennan"

I've found, keeping a backup kernel from my last update and loading
busybox instead of the system has recued my ass on more then one
occassion.

Ironicly, I encounted this problem on both my Gentoo Desktop *and* my
Gentoo Laptop roughtly a month to two months ago. At this time, there
was no evidance of this issue yet and I blindly unmerged mktemp and
all was well and never thought about it again till today when I saw
this thread. Like I said, I just blindly unmerged mktemp w/ little
though, I guess just seeing coreutils and quickly comparing it against
mytemp kinda spoke for itself. Either way, your system is back, and
that is all that matters.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Stroller

Did you never make dire mistakes? Well, if you haven't you may keep
throwing stones in a glasshouse.

If he's never made a dire mistake then he doesn't live in a glass house.

Stroller.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Justin

Did you never make dire mistakes? Well, if you haven't you may keep
throwing stones in a glasshouse.

You are right!

Once I did this:

rm -rv `equery files foo`.

This was a brilliant lesson!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Justin

And since so many other people did this too, he just called a LOT of
people stupid. Not good.

Just said doing this is stupid not those people are stupid!!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Mick

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:

> The system is back to working now as far as I can tell. Without all of
> you I would hardly have known exactly how to proceed. With your help I
> made some headway. Not sure yet whether it will reboot successfully
> but at least I could emerge coreutils and mktemp successfully again.

You don't need to emerge mktemp. It is now included in the coreutils package
(hence the block message).
Mick

Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 25 April 2008, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:07:17PM +0200, Justin wrote
>
> > Why are you doing things without knowing about the consequences?
> > Always ask before you are doing things which could be stupid!!!
>
> In my case, this was the umpteenth time I encountered circular
> blocks. After asking the first couple of times, I settled down to a
> pattern of unmerging both halves of the problem and restarting the
> emerge. This has worked fine until now. And yes, I've seen the
> warning about "may harm your system" a lot of times. If it didn't
> come up as often as Vista's UAC warning, when manually unmerging
> stuff, I probably would've asked first.

There's really only one way t deal with circular blockers, and that is
to know enough about why the blocker is there to make a decision about
it. You have to act like say an Ubuntu maintainer as that is really
what you are doing, just local to your own system.

I tend to read the ebuilds if I don't know the packages well. If
upgrades are involved, I invariably have to unmerge the older one (it
clashes with a new way of doing things). If one of the packages is
something new, then I must decide which one I want to keep.

Elog messages with yellow stars should *never* be ignored. Unlike UAC,
they are not there with the express purpose of annoying users.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 04-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Friday 25 April 2008 06:45:34 Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Elog messages with yellow stars should *never* be ignored. Unlike UAC,
> they are not there with the express purpose of annoying users.

Having no knowledge of Vista, nor a wish to try it, what is a UAC? Google
tells me it's a "Universal air connection for scba", which doesn't seem
right here.

--
Rgds
Peter

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 27 April 2008, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2008 06:45:34 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Elog messages with yellow stars should *never* be ignored. Unlike
> > UAC, they are not there with the express purpose of annoying users.
>
> Having no knowledge of Vista, nor a wish to try it, what is a UAC?
> Google tells me it's a "Universal air connection for scba", which
> doesn't seem right here.

User Access Control.

Microsoft's implementation of a "get authorisation to do this before
doing it" thingy. There are two good ways to do this and a plethora of
wrong ways. The right ways:

'su -' and become root where everything is allowed.
'sudo' or a gui derivative. If the user has been authorized by root,
just run the whole command with root priviledges as the user can
obviously be trusted.

Microsoft's wrong way:

Intercept every single action that requires root priviledges and give a
popup to confirm. Half the time the user has no idea what the machine
is on about and just clicks "Yes". Heck, I was trying to install
OpenVPN on Vista and had no idea what it was on about half the time,
and I have 20 years solid technical experience backing me up. WHat
chance does Aunt Tilly or your grandma stand?

Microsoft's stated reason for this is to annoy users so much that they
will annoy 3rd party developers who will write software that doesn't
need root to install. Hmmmm.

I dunno, I have a healthy tin foil hat. Here's what I think:

Users will become so annoyed with UAC that they will find the hidden box
that says "click here to never receive these popups again" and blog it.
Many users will do it, Microsoft doesn't have to bother with security
all that much anymore and we are back to XP behaviour with machines
infested with malware, opening up a nice revenue stream for "New!
Improved! Microsoft Anti-Virus!" (and taking out Norton in the
process). Except this time it's not the default behaviour, the user
deliberately clicked the button so they take responsibility now and
Microsoft is off the hook for deliberately shipping unsafe software
that does not perform to reasonable expectations.

Sudo is so much better and infinitely less intrusive. It's also a solved
problem years ago. Why didn't they use it?

</end of rant>