Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Mick

Default KDE slow shutdown

Hi All,

I have noticed that a box running pretty much vanilla KDE is taking an awful
long time to exit the KDE session when I shutdown. Couldn't find anything in
the logs. How could I troubleshoot it?
Mick

Old 04-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that a box running pretty much vanilla KDE is taking an
> awful long time to exit the KDE session when I shutdown. Couldn't find
> anything in the logs. How could I troubleshoot it?

lsof &grep can tell you which files are accessed. Maybe it takes a looong time
writing to kdm.log (something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely
slow).

Old 04-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Mick

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have noticed that a box running pretty much vanilla KDE is taking an
> > awful long time to exit the KDE session when I shutdown. Couldn't find
> > anything in the logs. How could I troubleshoot it?
>
> lsof &grep can tell you which files are accessed. Maybe it takes a looong
> time writing to kdm.log (something that sometimes make my shutdowns
> extremely slow).

Thanks Volker,

How do you mean I need to run lsof? Use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console
quickly while KDE is shutting down and run it from there, or run something in
the background?
Mick

Old 04-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I have noticed that a box running pretty much vanilla KDE is taking an
> > > awful long time to exit the KDE session when I shutdown. Couldn't find
> > > anything in the logs. How could I troubleshoot it?
> >
> > lsof &grep can tell you which files are accessed. Maybe it takes a looong
> > time writing to kdm.log (something that sometimes make my shutdowns
> > extremely slow).
>
> Thanks Volker,
>
> How do you mean I need to run lsof? Use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console
> quickly while KDE is shutting down and run it from there,

exactly - and you do have to do it as root

lsof shows the open files. In my case, when shutting down hangs for ages it is
always shutdown accessing kdm.log. But that is only my problem - your problem
might me be something completly different. Are you saving sessions?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Norberto Bensa

Quoting Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>:

Hi All,

I have noticed that a box running pretty much vanilla KDE is taking an awful
long time to exit the KDE session when I shutdown. Couldn't find anything in

If you use Kopete, check if you have statistics plugin enabled. If so,
disable it.

HTH,
Norberto

Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Mick

On Saturday 19 April 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:

> > How do you mean I need to run lsof? Use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a
> > console quickly while KDE is shutting down and run it from there,
>
> exactly - and you do have to do it as root
>
> lsof shows the open files. In my case, when shutting down hangs for ages it
> is always shutdown accessing kdm.log. But that is only my problem - your
> problem might me be something completly different. Are you saving sessions?

Hmm, I suspect I may do. This is my wife's machine which I rarely use and am
not sure (plus I'm not particularly KDE-literate I'm afraid). How do I
check?
Mick

Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Samstag, 19. April 2008, Mick wrote:
> > > How do you mean I need to run lsof? Use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a
> > > console quickly while KDE is shutting down and run it from there,
> >
> > exactly - and you do have to do it as root
> >
> > lsof shows the open files. In my case, when shutting down hangs for ages
> > it is always shutdown accessing kdm.log. But that is only my problem -
> > your problem might me be something completly different. Are you saving
> > sessions?
>
> Hmm, I suspect I may do. This is my wife's machine which I rarely use and
> am not sure (plus I'm not particularly KDE-literate I'm afraid). How do I
> check?

open the control center. Go to 'components', click on session manager.
Choose 'start with empty session' or something like that.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Philip Webb

080419 Volker Armin Hemmann & Mick discussed:
M> a box running vanilla KDE is taking an awful long time
M> to exit the KDE session when I shutdown.
VAH> lsof & grep can tell you which files are accessed.
VAH> Maybe it takes a looong time writing to kdm.log
VAH> something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely slow.
M> How do you mean I need to run lsof?
VAH> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console quickly while KDE is shutting down
VAH> and run it from there as root. lsof shows the open files. In my case,
VAH> when shutting down hangs for ages it is always accessing kdm.log.
VAH> But your problem might me be something completly different.
VAH> Are you saving sessions?

I've had the same problem for some time.
There was 1 version of KDE (perhaps 3.5.6/7) which didn't do it,
but then it started again (now 3.5.9). It saves 11 apps on 10 desktops,
but that shouldn't be taking so long on a fast machine:
after all, it compiles Kdelibs in 17 min !
In my case, it isn't kdm.log , as I don't have Kdm installed
(I use 'startx' from a raw command-line after booting).

One way to find out more would be to file a bug with KDE,
but I'ld rather not waste their time, if anyone has further advice.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Mick

On Sunday 20 April 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
> 080419 Volker Armin Hemmann & Mick discussed:
> M> a box running vanilla KDE is taking an awful long time
> M> to exit the KDE session when I shutdown.
> VAH> lsof & grep can tell you which files are accessed.
> VAH> Maybe it takes a looong time writing to kdm.log
> VAH> something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely slow.
> M> How do you mean I need to run lsof?
> VAH> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console quickly while KDE is shutting down
> VAH> and run it from there as root. lsof shows the open files. In my case,
> VAH> when shutting down hangs for ages it is always accessing kdm.log.
> VAH> But your problem might me be something completly different.
> VAH> Are you saving sessions?
>
> I've had the same problem for some time.
> There was 1 version of KDE (perhaps 3.5.6/7) which didn't do it,
> but then it started again (now 3.5.9). It saves 11 apps on 10
> desktops, but that shouldn't be taking so long on a fast machine:
> after all, it compiles Kdelibs in 17 min !
> In my case, it isn't kdm.log , as I don't have Kdm installed
> (I use 'startx' from a raw command-line after booting).
>
> One way to find out more would be to file a bug with KDE,
> but I'ld rather not waste their time, if anyone has further advice.

Back on this machine today. I checked that I am not saving any KDE sessions.
I ran lsof on the console and saw that it was accessing kdm and some X server
files (as expected). Not clever enough to play tunes with lsof - any
particular strings that I should run?

PS. I also remember that older KDE versions would shut down immediately, but
the last couple of versions take their time.
PPS. On my laptop I don't experience this delay, however, I am running xdm
with Fluxbox and manually run startkde in the very rare occasions that I want
to try something within KDE. So the delay could have something to do with
kdm?
Mick

Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 20 April 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
> > 080419 Volker Armin Hemmann & Mick discussed:
> > M> a box running vanilla KDE is taking an awful long time
> > M> to exit the KDE session when I shutdown.
> > VAH> lsof & grep can tell you which files are accessed.
> > VAH> Maybe it takes a looong time writing to kdm.log
> > VAH> something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely slow.
> > M> How do you mean I need to run lsof?
> > VAH> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console quickly while KDE is shutting
> > down VAH> and run it from there as root. lsof shows the open files. In my
> > case, VAH> when shutting down hangs for ages it is always accessing
> > kdm.log. VAH> But your problem might me be something completly different.
> > VAH> Are you saving sessions?
> >
> > I've had the same problem for some time.
> > There was 1 version of KDE (perhaps 3.5.6/7) which didn't do it,
> > but then it started again (now 3.5.9). It saves 11 apps on 10
> > desktops, but that shouldn't be taking so long on a fast machine:
> > after all, it compiles Kdelibs in 17 min !
> > In my case, it isn't kdm.log , as I don't have Kdm installed
> > (I use 'startx' from a raw command-line after booting).
> >
> > One way to find out more would be to file a bug with KDE,
> > but I'ld rather not waste their time, if anyone has further advice.
>
> Back on this machine today. I checked that I am not saving any KDE
> sessions. I ran lsof on the console and saw that it was accessing kdm and
> some X server files (as expected). Not clever enough to play tunes with
> lsof - any particular strings that I should run?
>
> PS. I also remember that older KDE versions would shut down immediately,
> but the last couple of versions take their time.
> PPS. On my laptop I don't experience this delay, however, I am running xdm
> with Fluxbox and manually run startkde in the very rare occasions that I
> want to try something within KDE. So the delay could have something to do
> with kdm?

yes.