Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Roy Wright

Default Need simple smtp sendmail

Howdy,

It's been three years since I last set up mail on my workstation which
I'm replacing after a motherboard failure. One of the pieces I'm
missing is what do I need to allow processes like portage and mdadm send
notification messages to my email account. IIRC, I had something that
just forwarded smtp mail to my public account.

I would prefer something really simple (i.e., not postfix).

Any pointers to threads or howto articles most welcome.

TIA,
Roy

Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:35:28 -0500, Roy Wright wrote:

> It's been three years since I last set up mail on my workstation which
> I'm replacing after a motherboard failure. One of the pieces I'm
> missing is what do I need to allow processes like portage and mdadm send
> notification messages to my email account. IIRC, I had something that
> just forwarded smtp mail to my public account.

mail-mta/ssmtp, which is generally installed by default.

--
Neil Bothwick

Quantum Physics: The dreams that stuff is made of

Old 04-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2008-04-18, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

>> It's been three years since I last set up mail on my
>> workstation which I'm replacing after a motherboard failure.
>> One of the pieces I'm missing is what do I need to allow
>> processes like portage and mdadm send notification messages to
>> my email account. IIRC, I had something that just forwarded
>> smtp mail to my public account.
>
> mail-mta/ssmtp, which is generally installed by default.

Or, if you need to support multiple e-mail accounts: mail-mta/msmtp.

It's just as simple to set up as ssmtp, but allows per-user
configuration, and each user can configure multiple accounts.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'd like MY data-base
at JULIENNED and stir-fried!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Roy Wright

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-04-18, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> mail-mta/ssmtp, which is generally installed by default.
>
> Or, if you need to support multiple e-mail accounts: mail-mta/msmtp.

Thank you!

The key was knowing it was ssmtp that I needed to configure. I then
found: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-420358.html which added the
AuthUser and AuthPass config options I was missing.

Have fun,
Roy