-   -   "emerge portage" (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/71955-emerge-portage.html)

Alan McKinnon 04-18-2008 11:36 AM

"emerge portage"

On Friday 18 April 2008, robert anstuther wrote:
> Hi, I am new to Gentoo so accept my apologies if this is a blatently
> stupid question. I want to install the latest version of a package on
> our site, on checking the various gentoo boxes I discovered that the
> versions of the package varied a lot. therefore I ran "emerge --sync"
> this worked fine but finished with the message that a new portage was
> available and that I should run the command in the above subject
> field, and then update ALL my config files, I am worried that I mess
> up my kernel by proceeding, I have checked the wiki and read through
> the emerge docs, but it is still not totally clear to me, Any help or
> suggested further reading very much appreciated.
>

> Thanks, Boba.

Hi Boba,

Your questions are all fully explained in the Gentoo Handbook:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

It is perfectly normal for portage to want to update itself first when
doing a system update. Portage will update, then it re-runs the system
update so that the new system is now in charge.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com