Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
"robert anstuther"

Default "emerge portage"

Hi, I am new to Gentoo so accept my apologies if this is a blatently
stupid question. I want to install the latest version of a package on our
site, on checking the various gentoo boxes I discovered that the versions
of the package varied a lot. therefore I ran "emerge --sync" this worked
fine but finished with the message that a new portage was available and
that I should run the command in the above subject field, and then update
ALL my config files, I am worried that I mess up my kernel by proceeding,
I have checked the wiki and read through the emerge docs, but it is still
not totally clear to me, Any help or suggested further reading very much
appreciated.

Thanks, Boba.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Am Freitag, den 18.04.2008, 13:09 +0200 schrieb ext robert anstuther:
> I am worried that I mess up my kernel by proceeding

You can only mess up your kernel by recompiling it with the wrong
options set in the kernel config and then use it at next boot.

portage _never_ compiles a kernel. It just installs kernel sources.

Bye...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733