-   -   Talking about fonts... (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/71788-talking-about-fonts.html)

"Gustavo Campos" 04-18-2008 03:28 AM

Talking about fonts...

After Liviu's post about fonts I just start re-thinking about my font
setup. My fonts look really good, but for some reason I want to know
if they can look even better...

I remember some months ago the trouble about libxft and cairo patches
to enable bci stuff. Of course I've got freetype with bindist
disabled, but I want to know if that's enough... It still needed to
install patched versions of xft and cairo to achieve perfect results?
All this time I believed I had BCI hinting working on in all my apps,
but searching through gentoo forums I've found that this discussion is
still active, and even discovered the existence of a font-overlay
which looks to provide those patched versions.

Anyone has knowledge about the actual state of BCI rendering in
Gentoo? Portage versions of freetype, xft and cairo are enough to get
full features? I swear I tried to read all I could in the forums, but
the thread is a real mess now =)

Anyway, maybe I should be satisfied with the font quality I have now,
but I can't be blamed for hoping some possibly even better results,
can I?

--
Gustavo Campos

Ciência da Computação / Computer Science - UFMG