Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
"Liviu Andronic"

Default OT Best font selection?

Hello everyone,

Although perfectly aware that this is a much subjective business, I am
looking for "best" fonts, and would much appreciate your sharing of
personal choices. This Wiki article [1] has some insight, but not
sufficient to satisfy my quest.

For best printed output I have settled for either Computer Modern or
Palatino, through LyX (LaTeX). For Terminal I am quite happy with
Terminus. But I am not very satisfied with the User Interface font. I
am currently using Verdana size 8, under Xfce, with anti-aliasing
enabled. However, I would much like to use a high-quality LCD display
font, that would look good with anti-aliasing disabled (I already have
-bindist for media-libs/freetype).

So, what font do you use for the User Interface?

Thank you in advance,
Liviu

[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts#Emerging_the_necessary_packag es

Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 PM
darren kirby

quoth the Liviu Andronic:

> So, what font do you use for the User Interface?

Happy with Bitstream Vera Sans myself. Clean, clear, and looks good. For fixed
I use Courier 10-pitch.

-d

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
"Gustavo Campos"

That's not free, that's M$ stuff, but I'd suggest you to take a look,
just take a look, at Segoe UI fonts.

I Don't know any free fonts comparable to it, but there's a story of
some guy who charged M$ for using his font as base for Segoe... I
don't know if that font is free, or even if it exists, but it may be
worth to take a look at =)

If anyone knows a free font comparable to Segoe, I'd be pleased to be
aware of =)))

And terminus is so f*ck*ng awesome I'm actually using it as my
interface font in xmonad =)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:55 PM, darren kirby <bulliver@badcomputer.org> wrote:
> quoth the Liviu Andronic:
>

> > So, what font do you use for the User Interface?
> >

> Happy with Bitstream Vera Sans myself. Clean, clear, and looks good. For fixed
> I use Courier 10-pitch.
>
> -d
> --
> darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
> "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
> - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972

Gustavo Campos

Ciência da Computação / Computer Science - UFMG

Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Philip Webb

080417 Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Although perfectly aware that this is a much subjective business, ...

Very much so !

> ... I am looking for "best" fonts
> and would much appreciate your sharing of personal choices.

I like New Century Schoolbook for variable spacing,
with URW Palladio as a good alternative; for fixed spaces, Luxi Mono.

HTH

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@chass.utoronto.ca
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto

Old 04-18-2008, 03:09 AM
darren kirby

quoth the Gustavo Campos:
> That's not free, that's M$ stuff, but I'd suggest you to take a look,
> just take a look, at Segoe UI fonts.

Well, it's included in portage, and I paid $0 for it so......
Besides, the OP mentioned no requirement that the font must be 'free'.

I was simply stating what I use because I think it looks good.

-d

Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 AM
"Gustavo Campos"

> Well, it's included in portage, and I paid $0 for it so......

Is Segoe UI really in Portage? At the last time I emerged corefonts it
wasn't present, so I had to find it on the web =)

And by free, I meant the really free free, you know =)

> I was simply stating what I use because I think it looks good.

Damn good IMHO!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 AM
darren kirby

quoth the Gustavo Campos:
> > Well, it's included in portage, and I paid $0 for it so......
>
> Is Segoe UI really in Portage? At the last time I emerged corefonts it
> wasn't present, so I had to find it on the web =)

I dunno, I was talking about the Vera Sans. I was going to look for Segoe
later. Thanks for the tip on terminus as well. I haver just tried it in my
konsole and it looks great.

> And by free, I meant the really free free, you know =)

Yeah, I know

Old 04-18-2008, 04:02 AM
"Gustavo Campos"

> I dunno, I was talking about the Vera Sans. I was going to look for Segoe
> later. Thanks for the tip on terminus as well. I haver just tried it in my
> konsole and it looks great.

Ohhhhh I see! Sorry for that, I really understood you were talking
about the Segoe!!

And terminus is just awesome, I'm using a really small size
(CONSOLEFONT="ter-112n") at my framebuffer console, which runs at
1280x1024, it makes a really big space for typing, while leaving every
single char completely readable, it's beautiful!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Michal 'vorner' Vaner

Hello

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 07:36:40PM +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Although perfectly aware that this is a much subjective business, I am
> looking for "best" fonts, and would much appreciate your sharing of
> personal choices. This Wiki article [1] has some insight, but not
> sufficient to satisfy my quest.

I use Deja-vu fonts, mostly because it is whole pack (all kinds looking
similar) and have Czech diacritics.

--
Wait few minutes before opening this email. The temperature difference
could lead to vapour condensation.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner