FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-17-2008, 03:54 PM
"Jan Seeger"
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

As per the subject:

I use luks-crypt to encrypt my home directory. Of course I would like
to make backups. These must, of course, also be encrypted. I have
tried duplicity, but when many changes have occured, this is
unbearably slow (being on a laptop). What would be the best solution
to back up with encryption barring duplicity?

Regards,
Jan Seeger
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:54 +0200, Jan Seeger wrote:
> As per the subject:
>
> I use luks-crypt to encrypt my home directory. Of course I would like
> to make backups. These must, of course, also be encrypted. I have
> tried duplicity, but when many changes have occured, this is
> unbearably slow (being on a laptop). What would be the best solution
> to back up with encryption barring duplicity?
>
> Regards,
> Jan Seeger

I personally use dar and gpg. Dar can be used to make incremental
backups which should partly solve your speed problem. Alternatively you
could use tar and gpg or cpio or whatever floats your boat.

The alternative would be an encrypted filesystem and rdiff-backup or
rsync. Optionally you could safe the key to the filesystem on your home
partition or, if it doesn't need to be automated, in a gpg-encrypted
file.

Let me know if you are interested in any of these options so I can
explain the details further (if you need support with that, that is).
 
Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:54:50 +0200, Jan Seeger wrote:

> I use luks-crypt to encrypt my home directory. Of course I would like
> to make backups. These must, of course, also be encrypted. I have
> tried duplicity, but when many changes have occured, this is
> unbearably slow (being on a laptop). What would be the best solution
> to back up with encryption barring duplicity?

I'm using duplicity and also found it slow, and it makes thousands of SSH
connections in the course of a day. I'm now testing app-backup/boxbackup,
which seems good so far.


--
Neil Bothwick

The road to HAL is paved with good intentions.
 
Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 PM
"Jan Seeger"
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

At Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:16:54 +0200,
Florian Philipp wrote:
> I personally use dar and gpg. Dar can be used to make incremental
> backups which should partly solve your speed problem. Alternatively you
> could use tar and gpg or cpio or whatever floats your boat.

Duplicity also does incremental backups, but it's still slow. Using
dar, would I have to "manually" (or per script) use gpg to encrypt the archives?

> The alternative would be an encrypted filesystem and rdiff-backup or
> rsync. Optionally you could safe the key to the filesystem on your home
> partition or, if it doesn't need to be automated, in a gpg-encrypted
> file.

An encryted filesystem and rdiff-backup or similar was another option
I though of. The problem is restoration: Would I easily be able to
restore the backups from a freshly installed system?

Regards,
Jan

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Chris Walters
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Florian Philipp wrote:
| On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:54 +0200, Jan Seeger wrote:
|> As per the subject:
|>
|> I use luks-crypt to encrypt my home directory. Of course I would like
|> to make backups. These must, of course, also be encrypted. I have
|> tried duplicity, but when many changes have occured, this is
|> unbearably slow (being on a laptop). What would be the best solution
|> to back up with encryption barring duplicity?
|>
|> Regards,
|> Jan Seeger
|
| I personally use dar and gpg. Dar can be used to make incremental
| backups which should partly solve your speed problem. Alternatively you
| could use tar and gpg or cpio or whatever floats your boat.
|
| The alternative would be an encrypted filesystem and rdiff-backup or
| rsync. Optionally you could safe the key to the filesystem on your home
| partition or, if it doesn't need to be automated, in a gpg-encrypted
| file.
|
| Let me know if you are interested in any of these options so I can
| explain the details further (if you need support with that, that is).

I also use dar, but I don't bother with gpg. I use the '-K:' option of dar,
which provides passphrase protected blowfish protection. I suppose I could use
gpg, as well, with AES256 or IDEA, but that would be overkill, I think, since I
keep my backups on an external USB port drive.

Chris
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIcBAEBCgAGBQJIB5j7AAoJEIAhA8M9p9DA+ccP/AqbWUYZMc76kiRa1nqL1A81
rDqrTomadkHoyqCgl0sXwmz85kEzgV33QP/yqrnSwAXQisDgvyQ9v8INOGff1p7D
e2Rw3U+31/U+xz1dMYTS8ucLKLKwMkU1m9+iIkRBbPDJPTVyUzup33RoV8Bt 00oF
5241fYPhJQsLd/zwiYsUk6w7NO+4xyW7x9n2FXbOKZGuwSNT+0mVwXX/fDlvXhJJ
awkQMAfpv2vVQ5Y5+ovlhawECU/mv1BxOTrYB9M0jViT9ugKcoJEhJyONLra0LBL
1dwy/6g5PB+4RB/xKXZqJdO02gp7vqf3H2rlA6qcj+O0/b8gK5Jl1/QP2duzdgL5
XbChyiVfF5KTEB9EgAUuhrIMr+At5rinxFQmu0S8ohgoHRakFX AIhv7+DX6rkKJD
Y5Jf8X6sV+Flqac4dD9znmb98RgcbVTEyHLLKKPrvZ2mcEhRCw 6I+HXcnYvFQV57
xEXbYEkKTXHlb6OFWOSC/ynvhw87mBz+Zjx0trm61awrgYBBgYoSBJk3nemjtL9e
0yslvgzMOClTjSlC9lgnCmiQDQNgFFgIUHSmrt/yfQ69jrluii7hvWJfRfFsu9i1
5wOnzOt5fI1sTxOoX9yMEXK+PjEgncdBVPMMF+dMvan4vyxGpA PwgzQSedgWPbgI
dwBz2ugEZAAsV0EszSQS
=mGmy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Remy Blank
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

Neil Bothwick wrote:

I'm now testing app-backup/boxbackup,
which seems good so far.


Please report your findings on the list! I'm not all too happy about my
current solution (rdiff-backup locally to a filesystem over dmcrypt,
loopback-mounted from a file, followed by an rsync over ssh to a remote
host), and I'd be happy to find something better!


-- Remy
 
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM
"Jan Seeger"
 
Default Encrypted backups under Gentoo

At Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:37:52 -0400,
Chris Walters wrote:
> I also use dar, but I don't bother with gpg. I use the '-K:' option of dar,
> which provides passphrase protected blowfish protection. I suppose I could use
> gpg, as well, with AES256 or IDEA, but that would be overkill, I think, since I
> keep my backups on an external USB port drive.

This sounds like a feasible solution, I will try it out. Thanks for
the idea, Florian and Chris.

I'm just wondering what the dar64 and dar32 useflags do...
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org