Old 04-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default you have cruft in /proc remove it

Hi,

does anybody know where the message
you have cruft in /proc remove it
comes from and what to do about it.

(It seems to be new with baselayout-2.0.0/openrc
but it's not mentioned in the upgrade guide)

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
maxim wexler

Here's a useful discussioin:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-254197-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-findcruft-start-50.html

--- Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

wrote:

Hi,

does anybody know where the message
you have cruft in /proc remove it
comes from and what to do about it.

(It seems to be new with baselayout-2.0.0/openrc
but it's not mentioned in the upgrade guide)

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

First: Don't top post!

Second: I don't think this is normal filesystem cruft like which is
discussed in the forum. The proc (proc <- Process information
pseudo-filesystem) filesystem contains information about the state of
your system and the running processes and there are no real files in it.
The same goes for /dev (udev) /sys (sysfs).

Old 04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:24:20 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> Second: I don't think this is normal filesystem cruft like which is
> discussed in the forum. The proc (proc <- Process information
> pseudo-filesystem) filesystem contains information about the state of
> your system and the running processes and there are no real files in
> it.

Is the message referring to the proc filesystem or the /proc mount point
before it is mounted? Do you see anything if you do

mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
ls -l /mnt/tmp/proc

--
Neil Bothwick

When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Daniel Pielmeier

Neil Bothwick schrieb:

Second: I don't think this is normal filesystem cruft like which is
discussed in the forum. The proc (proc <- Process information
pseudo-filesystem) filesystem contains information about the state of
your system and the running processes and there are no real files in
it.

Is the message referring to the proc filesystem or the /proc mount point
before it is mounted? Do you see anything if you do

mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
ls -l /mnt/tmp/proc

No, i also scanned through /var/log/rc.log and do not have a single
occurrence of message like this!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
maxim wexler

> First: Don't top post!

Big whoop! The two posts are tiny -- it's easy to see
at a glance which is the original and which the reply.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Dan Farrell

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
maxim wexler <blissfix@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > First: Don't top post!
> >

> Big whoop! The two posts are tiny -- it's easy to see
> at a glance which is the original and which the reply.

What's with people making the biggest deal out of this? The ubuntu
mailing lists just had a huge discussion about it.

I have seen the signature (something like this)