-   -   you have cruft in /proc remove it (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/71441-you-have-cruft-proc-remove.html)

Helmut Jarausch 04-17-2008 03:37 PM

you have cruft in /proc remove it

Hi,

does anybody know where the message
you have cruft in /proc remove it
comes from and what to do about it.

(It seems to be new with baselayout-2.0.0/openrc
but it's not mentioned in the upgrade guide)

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

maxim wexler 04-17-2008 09:00 PM

you have cruft in /proc remove it

Here's a useful discussioin:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-254197-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-findcruft-start-50.html

--- Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>

Daniel Pielmeier 04-17-2008 09:24 PM

wrote:

Hi,

does anybody know where the message
you have cruft in /proc remove it
comes from and what to do about it.

(It seems to be new with baselayout-2.0.0/openrc
but it's not mentioned in the upgrade guide)

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

First: Don't top post!

Second: I don't think this is normal filesystem cruft like which is
discussed in the forum. The proc (proc <- Process information
pseudo-filesystem) filesystem contains information about the state of
your system and the running processes and there are no real files in it.
The same goes for /dev (udev) /sys (sysfs).

Neil Bothwick 04-17-2008 10:15 PM

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:24:20 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:

> Second: I don't think this is normal filesystem cruft like which is
> discussed in the forum. The proc (proc <- Process information
> pseudo-filesystem) filesystem contains information about the state of
> your system and the running processes and there are no real files in
> it.

Is the message referring to the proc filesystem or the /proc mount point
before it is mounted? Do you see anything if you do

mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
ls -l /mnt/tmp/proc

--
Neil Bothwick

When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in?

Daniel Pielmeier 04-17-2008 10:25 PM

Neil Bothwick schrieb:

Second: I don't think this is normal filesystem cruft like which is
discussed in the forum. The proc (proc <- Process information
pseudo-filesystem) filesystem contains information about the state of
your system and the running processes and there are no real files in
it.

Is the message referring to the proc filesystem or the /proc mount point
before it is mounted? Do you see anything if you do

mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
ls -l /mnt/tmp/proc

No, i also scanned through /var/log/rc.log and do not have a single
occurrence of message like this!

maxim wexler 04-17-2008 10:29 PM

you have cruft in /proc remove it

> First: Don't top post!

Big whoop! The two posts are tiny -- it's easy to see
at a glance which is the original and which the reply.

Dan Farrell 04-18-2008 04:29 AM

you have cruft in /proc remove it

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
maxim wexler <blissfix@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > First: Don't top post!
> >

> Big whoop! The two posts are tiny -- it's easy to see
> at a glance which is the original and which the reply.

What's with people making the biggest deal out of this? The ubuntu
mailing lists just had a huge discussion about it.

I have seen the signature (something like this)