Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
forgottenwizard

Default baselayout-2.0.0 surprises

Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:03:09 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> after upgrading to baselayout-2.0.0 ( and openrc ) I've got some
> unpleasant surprises.

Because you didn't read the elog messages.

> Is there an upgrade guide anywhere ?

Yes, and emerge tells you to read it:

You should now update all files in /etc, using etc-update
or equivalent before restarting any services or this host.

Please read the migration guide available at:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

--
Neil Bothwick

We are THOR of Borg... your RFC compliant mailbox has been assimilated

Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
"Andrés Becerra Sandoval"

On 4/17/08, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to baselayout-2.0.0 ( and openrc ) I've got some
> unpleasant surprises.
> Is there an upgrade guide anywhere ?
>
> Maybe some problems are causes by myself (accidently)
>
> /etc/conf.d/rc seems to have gone (now /etc/rc.conf ?)
>
> /etc/conf.d/net seems to have gone
> this inhibited my network after reboot
> Has it really gone or did I delete by accident ?
> After I have replaced /etc/conf.d/net from a backup
> the network came up on the next boot.
>
> While the init scripts is running, I get the following
> messages never seen before
>
> - cruft in proc
>
> - net.ppp0 not under our control, aborting
> Fortunately it didn't abort my ppp connection
> (otherwise there wouldn't been this email)
>
> Are there more problems to be expected?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University
> D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Hello,

The migration guide is here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

I think it will help you solve your problems.

--
Andrés

Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 17. April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:03:09 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > after upgrading to baselayout-2.0.0 ( and openrc ) I've got some
> > unpleasant surprises.
>
> Because you didn't read the elog messages.

it is still not ok to remove /etc/conf.d/net. That is extremly stupid.

Oh, and another stupid think.

fsck runs with the -p option. -p for prune. But xfs does not now the -p
option and reiser4 lists all plugins.

The smart thing would be changing -p to -a - but our beloved devs don't like
intelligent solutions, instead there are patches for xfs and reiser4progs -
which are not in the tree - fucking up systems with these fs.

Really intelligent.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 17:23 +0200 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> fsck runs with the -p option. -p for prune. But xfs does not now the
> -p option

Just set fsck to 0 in fstab for xfs volumes.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:23:18 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > Because you didn't read the elog messages.
>
> it is still not ok to remove /etc/conf.d/net. That is extremly stupid.

It would be, but it wasn't removed on any of the three machines I
upgraded. /etc/init.d/net.eth0 was removed on all of them, but that is
documented in the upgrade guide.

--
Neil Bothwick

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your tagline!"

Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag, 17. April 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 17:23 +0200 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> > fsck runs with the -p option. -p for prune. But xfs does not now the
> > -p option
>
> Just set fsck to 0 in fstab for xfs volumes.
>
> Bye...
>
> Dirk

no, the thing is, -p for 'automatic check&repair' is just wrong. -a would be
better. Because -a is understood by a lot more fscks.

-p as prune/automatic repair is only understood by ext2/3 and reiserfsck.
-a is there for a reason. A good one.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 20:36 +0200 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> On Donnerstag, 17. April 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 17:23 +0200 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> > > fsck runs with the -p option. -p for prune. But xfs does not now the
> > > -p option
> >
> > Just set fsck to 0 in fstab for xfs volumes.
>
> no, the thing is, -p for 'automatic check&repair' is just wrong. -a would be
> better. Because -a is understood by a lot more fscks.
>
> -p as prune/automatic repair is only understood by ext2/3 and reiserfsck.
> -a is there for a reason. A good one.

Both of them have no effect on fsck.xfs, because no matter what options
you give to a dummy, it will stay a dummy.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 20:36 +0200 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> On Donnerstag, 17. April 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 17.04.2008, 17:23 +0200 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> > > fsck runs with the -p option. -p for prune. But xfs does not now the
> > > -p option
> >
> > Just set fsck to 0 in fstab for xfs volumes.

> no, the thing is, -p for 'automatic check&repair' is just wrong. -a would be
> better. Because -a is understood by a lot more fscks.
>
> -p as prune/automatic repair is only understood by ext2/3 and reiserfsck.
> -a is there for a reason. A good one.

Not using fsck for xfs also has a reason. A good one. From "man
fsck.xfs":

XFS is a journaling filesystem and performs recovery at mount(8) time if
necessary, so fsck.xfs simply exits with a zero exit status.

So whatever option you give to it, it doesn't matter.

Bye...

Dirk