-   -   emerge --sync (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/712553-emerge-sync.html)

Silvio Siefke 10-15-2012 07:03 PM

emerge --sync

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:50:07 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> As it says, you're out of memory. It seems you are low on RAM, what does
> free -m say? Maybe you need to add some swap space?

lvps5-35-240-192 / # free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 164600 11 164589 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 11 164589
Swap: 0 0 0

Regards
Silvio

Alan McKinnon 10-15-2012 07:56 PM

emerge --sync

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 +0200
Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:50:07 +0200
> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
>
> > As it says, you're out of memory. It seems you are low on RAM, what
> > does free -m say? Maybe you need to add some swap space?
>

> lvps5-35-240-192 / # free -m
> total used free shared buffers
> cached Mem: 164600 11 164589 0
> 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 11 164589
> Swap: 0 0 0

You have 164M of RAM, that is not enough. Packages like gcc and glibc
will probably just not compile with so little RAM[1], and there is no
way on a Gentoo machine to avoid compiling those. You have several

- use something else, not Gentoo
- Buy more RAM from the virtual machine provider
- build on another machine and emerge the binary packages.

The first is the one with the least pain.

[1] I have regular 32bit x86 VMs in my test lab that struggle to
properly compile big packages with 256M and sometimes even 512M is not
enough - gcc is the usual culprit.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Silvio Siefke 10-15-2012 08:44 PM

emerge --sync

Hello,

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:56:07 +0200

> You have 164M of RAM, that is not enough. Packages like gcc and glibc
> will probably just not compile with so little RAM[1], and there is no
> way on a Gentoo machine to avoid compiling those. You have several

In the description stand 1 GB, dynamic 2 GB. When thats not enough, then
i not know.

http://www.hosteurope.de/produkt/Virtual-Server-Linux-L

For DNS Backup should enough, and when u run one time emerge package you
want never have other. And Debian with Plesk what is origin on maschines
is not happy life.

I write to support and we see what they say.

Regards
Silvio

Alex Schuster 10-15-2012 08:57 PM

emerge --sync

Alan McKinnon writes:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 +0200
> Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:50:07 +0200
> > Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> >
> > > As it says, you're out of memory. It seems you are low on RAM, what
> > > does free -m say? Maybe you need to add some swap space?
> >
> > lvps5-35-240-192 / # free -m
> > total used free shared buffers
> > cached Mem: 164600 11 164589 0
> > 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 11 164589
> > Swap: 0 0 0
>
> You have 164M of RAM, that is not enough. Packages like gcc and glibc

free -m outputs megabytes, so this would mean he has 164 G of RAM, with
only 11 M being used... something is wrong here. Not sure what.

Wonko

Florian Philipp 10-15-2012 10:18 PM

emerge --sync

Am 15.10.2012 22:57, schrieb Alex Schuster:
> Alan McKinnon writes:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 +0200
>> Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:

>>> lvps5-35-240-192 / # free -m
>>> total used free shared buffers
>>> cached Mem: 164600 11 164589 0
>>> 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 11 164589
>>> Swap: 0 0 0
>>
>> You have 164M of RAM, that is not enough. Packages like gcc and glibc
>
> free -m outputs megabytes, so this would mean he has 164 G of RAM, with
> only 11 M being used... something is wrong here. Not sure what.
>
> Wonko

You cannot trust `free` on a vserver. Just because the system has that
much RAM, doesn't mean its allocated to your instance.

It should still be enough to use gentoo on it. In fact, I'm doing just that.

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Alan McKinnon 10-15-2012 10:29 PM

emerge --sync

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:57:17 +0200
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon writes:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 21:03:59 +0200
> > Silvio Siefke <siefke_listen@web.de> wrote:

> > > lvps5-35-240-192 / # free -m
> > > total used free shared buffers
> > > cached Mem: 164600 11 164589 0
> > > 0 0 -/+ buffers/cache: 11 164589
> > > Swap: 0 0 0
> >
> > You have 164M of RAM, that is not enough. Packages like gcc and
> > glibc
>
> free -m outputs megabytes, so this would mean he has 164 G of RAM,
> with only 11 M being used... something is wrong here. Not sure what.

Oops, indeed. I read the man page (really, I did...)

and my brain performed a

s/mega/kilo/

--
Alan McKinnon