Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Jarry

Default nano in install-amd64-minimal-20121013.iso broken?

Hi,
I'm installing new host, following Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook.
Right now I am in the chapter "5.d Configuring Compile Options".

It says:

"...Fire up your favorite editor (in this guide we use nano) so we
can alter the optimization variables we will discuss hereafter..."

So I fired up my favourite editor:

livecd gentoo # nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf
nano: error while loading shared libraries: libmagic.so.1:
livecd gentoo #

So what am I supposed to do now? Seems to me nano is broken...

Jarry

Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Michael Hampicke

Am 15.10.2012 20:33, schrieb Jarry:
> Hi,
> I'm installing new host, following Gentoo Linux AMD64 Handbook.
> Right now I am in the chapter "5.d Configuring Compile Options".
>
> It says:
>
> "...Fire up your favorite editor (in this guide we use nano) so we
> can alter the optimization variables we will discuss hereafter..."
>
> So I fired up my favourite editor:
>
> livecd gentoo # nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf
> nano: error while loading shared libraries: libmagic.so.1:
> livecd gentoo #
>
> So what am I supposed to do now? Seems to me nano is broken...

Use another editor - like vi(m) - or just chroot into /mnt/gentoo and
run nano from there. It does not matter if you edit make.conf before or
after chrooting.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Jarry

livecd gentoo # nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf
nano: error while loading shared libraries: libmagic.so.1:
livecd gentoo #

So what am I supposed to do now? Seems to me nano is broken...

Use another editor - like vi(m) - or just chroot into /mnt/gentoo and
run nano from there. It does not matter if you edit make.conf before or
after chrooting.

I already chrooted. So it means nano in stage3 is broken?
Concerning vi, it is 10 years since I used it for the last time!
Do not even remember how to save file after editing... :-(

Jarry

Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Michael Hampicke

Am 15.10.2012 21:29, schrieb Jarry:
> On 15-Oct-12 21:18, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>
>>> livecd gentoo # nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf
>>> nano: error while loading shared libraries: libmagic.so.1:
>>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>> livecd gentoo #
>>>
>>> So what am I supposed to do now? Seems to me nano is broken...
>>
>> Use another editor - like vi(m) - or just chroot into /mnt/gentoo and
>> run nano from there. It does not matter if you edit make.conf before or
>> after chrooting.
>
> I already chrooted. So it means nano in stage3 is broken?
> Concerning vi, it is 10 years since I used it for the last time!
> Do not even remember how to save file after editing... :-(

I just downloaded stage3-amd64-20121013.tar.bz2 and tried it. nano
inside the chroot works just fine here. Maybe you should check your
stage3 / iso file. See section 2.c of the gentoo handbook [1].
If the checksums don't match, just downloaded the files again, if the
checksums are ok, just try emerge --sync && emerge nano inside the chroot.

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1