-   -   Linus breaks nvidia-drivers again (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/712486-linus-breaks-nvidia-drivers-again.html)

walt 10-15-2012 04:05 PM

Linus breaks nvidia-drivers again

Well, this is really a temporary workaround for people who like to
run the latest git kernel from Linus, and it's only tested for
nvidia-drivers-302.17-r1, and only on ~amd_64.

"Walter Dnes" 10-15-2012 06:10 PM

Linus breaks nvidia-drivers again

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:05:27AM -0700, walt wrote
> Well, this is really a temporary workaround for people who like to
> run the latest git kernel from Linus, and it's only tested for
> nvidia-drivers-302.17-r1, and only on ~amd_64.

Which kernel version does the breakage start at, so I know not to rush
into it when it goes mainstream? Also, is there a walkthrough for
switching from Nvidia to Nouveau drivers? I couldn't get Nouveau
working when I first tried, which is why I'm using the Nvidia driver
right now. lspci shows...

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83c7

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

pk 10-15-2012 06:19 PM

On 2012-10-15 20:10, Walter Dnes wrote:
> Which kernel version does the breakage start at, so I know not to rush
> into it when it goes mainstream? Also, is there a walkthrough for
> switching from Nvidia to Nouveau drivers? I couldn't get Nouveau
> working when I first tried, which is why I'm using the Nvidia driver
> right now. lspci shows...
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83c7

Stupid question perhaps but...
...have you tried http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Nouveau ?

There's also a link to a nvidia-to-noveau at the bottom of this link...

Best regards

Peter K