-   -   I got midori working, including Flash (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/712447-i-got-midori-working-including-flash.html)

"Walter Dnes" 10-15-2012 01:53 PM

I got midori working, including Flash

I don't want to turn this into a Firefox-slagging thread; this is more
along the lines of presenting a viable alternative browser.

And it's much easier on Gentoo than most other distros. The problem
most people run into is that Flash video doesn't work on midori. The
root cause is that midori defaults to building with gtk+:3, and
Schlockwave Trash is a gtk:2 binary. Apparently, it's an incompatable
ABI. Webkit2 is supposed to fix this problem when it comes out... one
of these days. But in the meantime we're out of luck... no we're not.
I looked at the midori ebuild and noticed...

deprecated? (
net-libs/webkit-gtk:2
x11-libs/gtk+:2
unique? ( dev-libs/libunique:1 )
)
!deprecated? (
net-libs/webkit-gtk:3
x11-libs/gtk+:3
unique? ( dev-libs/libunique:3 )
)

I built midori with the "deprecated" USE flag, and Youtube and other
Flash stuff works just fine thank you. Here's the script I use to
launch midori...

#!/bin/bash
export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins"
midori

The MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH environmental variable appears to be necessary.
Modify as appropriate on your machine. If you run into SSL errors,
export another variable before launching...
export WEBKIT_IGNORE_SSL_ERRORS="1"

I'm still testing it, so no guarantees midori fully works, but I want
an alternative to Firefox.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>