Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM
walt

Default Gnome3 haters: you should try the new cinnamon-1.6.1

I'm back in gnome heaven again, thanks to cinnamon-1.6.1

First I'd like to thank Canek for his generous help to all of us
here who have been struggling with gnome-shell. I'm sure I'll
try gnome-shell again when it's more mature, but for now I'm
sticking with cinnamon. It's a giant step backward and I love it

The newly ported system-monitor panel applet for cinnamon is what
convinced me to switch -- it now looks and behaves exactly like the
old gnome2 version.

There are a couple of things you should know if you've never tried
cinnamon before. (These may already be documented in the gentoo
wiki but I haven't looked, which is why I had to figure them out
for myself

Once you have cinnamon emerged, how do you actually start it? Just
put this line in your .xinitrc:
exec ck-launch-session gnome-session --session=cinnamon

BTW I tried deleting the ck-launch-session. That broke auto-mounting
of removable media like usb sticks, so I put it back. I'm sure this
will change rapidly when systemd becomes the default, but systemd is
not mature enough yet for my taste so I'm sticking with openrc for now.

Second, and very important for the system-monitor panel applet, is
that networkmanager must be running for the network activity to be
visible in the applet. That took me a few days to work out

Another big change in the panel applet is that you must turn on the
"Panel edit mode" before you can add any other applets to it. That's
done by right-clicking on the panel. Then turn edit mode off again
before the panel will work as expected. That's very confusing if
you have to find it by trial-and-error

I'd be interested to hear other opinions about cinnamon.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 AM
mindrunner

Cinnamon is very great. Also nemo, the nautilus fork of 3.4, because
nautilus 3.6 is a very big regression in manys opinion (mine too).

Ive had soo many problem with gnome 3 (mainly performance), so i
switchesd to lxde.

It felt like replacing an intel pentium 4 with a core i7....

now i am using lxde within my gentoo, and cinnamon on my secondary
screen (linux mint).

I love cinnamon. But it is unusable in my opinion, because it is on top
of gnome3. they should make this working standalone! )

Old 10-15-2012, 12:23 PM
walt