-   -   qemu-kvm and libvirt: running an ancient guest (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/710966-qemu-kvm-libvirt-running-ancient-guest.html)

Florian Philipp 10-09-2012 07:34 PM

Am 09.10.2012 21:21, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
> Am 09.10.2012 20:52, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
>
>> When I cp a file within that VM it takes ages ... unfortunately the OS
>> doesn't bring much modules with it so I can't just swap the virtual
>> controller for SCSI or so :-(
>
> addition:
>
> within vmware-context I get a virtual PIIX4-IDE-controller.
>
> with qemu-kvm I get a virtual PIIX3-IDE-controller ... which seems not
> supported by that old kernel ... (no module visible with "lspci -v",
> unknown device ...)
>
> q: is it possible to get PIIX4-IDE into KVM? Couldn't find that out yet ...
>
> PIIX4-IDE runs fine in vmware-server 2 ... maybe I have to downgrade
> qemu-kvm and/or libvirt? ...

Given that the kernel is old and unsupported anyway, couldn't you just
compile a slightly newer one with the right modules? Or transplant it
from the other VM you mentioned?

Regards,
Florian Philipp

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 10-09-2012 08:06 PM

Am 09.10.2012 21:34, schrieb Florian Philipp:

> Given that the kernel is old and unsupported anyway, couldn't you
> just compile a slightly newer one with the right modules? Or
> transplant it from the other VM you mentioned?

Yes and no ... the software running in the VM is somehow compiled
"against" all the given environment and it isn't sure how it would behave.

Worth a try, sure. Although that old suse isn't exactly gentoo ... you
know ;)

I could additionally have to look for old installation media or even
rpm-packages with ready kernels for that 6.1

Although I still assume that it should be possible to provide a
PIIX4-bus to that VM via KVM ...

Stefan

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 10-09-2012 08:45 PM

Am 09.10.2012 22:06, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Worth a try, sure. Although that old suse isn't exactly gentoo ... you
> know ;)

Apart from testing the software inside the VM ... I got my first own
2.2-kernel booted in there ;-)

I was able to add some other features I missed before, looks OK.

Unfortunately I still don't see what to compile in for this unknown
PCI-device: the old kernel seems not to know what to do with PIIX3
(although exactly the same kernel uses PIIX4 fine on vmware).

Maybe some different PCI-bus .. ?

"Stefan G. Weichinger" 10-09-2012 11:14 PM

Am 09.10.2012 22:45, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Unfortunately I still don't see what to compile in for this unknown
> PCI-device: the old kernel seems not to know what to do with PIIX3
> (although exactly the same kernel uses PIIX4 fine on vmware).
>
> Maybe some different PCI-bus .. ?

after all it seems to boil down to enabling DMA (for the IDE-controller)
in the kernel ...

*sigh*

Let's see what the customer says.

thanks @Florian for pointing me back to the idea of compiling a "fresh"