Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default Synaptics driver freezes my kernel

Hi,

I'm using kernel 3.6.1-gentoo (which claims to have fixed a synaptics
modules bug) with
xorg-server-1.11.4-r1 (I can't use a more recent one because my ATI
graphics card is "too old"

for ati-drivers > 12.4) and xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2.

After a few minutes, it segfaults the kernel ==> hard reset.
Without synaptics the system is rock stable (for many hours at least).

Has anybody made a similar experience or know about a bug fix?

Many thanks for hint,
Helmut.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 PM
"Gregory M. Turner"

I'm using kernel 3.6.1-gentoo (which claims to have fixed a synaptics
modules bug) with
xorg-server-1.11.4-r1 (I can't use a more recent one because my ATI
graphics card is "too old"
for ati-drivers > 12.4) and xf86-input-synaptics-1.6.2.

After a few minutes, it segfaults the kernel ==> hard reset.
Without synaptics the system is rock stable (for many hours at least).

Has anybody made a similar experience or know about a bug fix?

Many thanks for hint,
Helmut.

It's been working for me for ages ... in fact for years, I maintained a
bug with an ebuild for it before it even went into the kernel.

Never seen it cause a crash, ever. Are you sure synaptics caused your
reset? Unless you have changed the defaults, last I checked, a linux
kernel panic would not cause a hard reset, but a freeze (or what looks
like one from an X11 gui).

-gmt

Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Helmut Jarausch

[...]

Yes, it's definitely the synaptics driver. Perhaps it's connected with
the 3.6.x kernel series.
I have updated the drivers to the GIT version (1.6 branch) and the
probablem seems to be fixed now.
I'm still using xorg-server-1.11.4-r1 since I have to stick to the
ati-drivers-12.4 because my graphics card

is "too old".

Helmut.